Server Maintenance This Week. ×

License conflict with myself

vinnygi

This topic is 5581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've created a file with buttons for users to click to open several different remote databases hosted on FM Server 8. The scripts for each are identical, except for the relevant filename. The weird thing is, when I click the button for a specific file (the 4th button), I get a License conflict warning and Filemaker shuts down. This only happens when I click the button/run the script. If I open the file using the "Open Remote" menu item, using exactly the same file path (copied from the script itself), it opens fine.

The text of the message I get is "The maximum number of licensed users are curently using this copy of Filemaker ... License Key conflict occured with user "Vinny's PowerMac G5".

This is my computer. I have other versions of Filemaker on my computer, but all were closed at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

you can see this behavior if you connect to the same database using two different IPs. For example, if you connected via 127.0.0.1 (which means localhost) vs. your computer's actual IP (say, 10.0.1.x) to the same database, you'll get that message.

I bet you have more than one file reference to the same file, using different IPs that both resolve to the server... fix 'em!

Originally, the file references were to the same internal IP address of the server. I then changed them all to the external address of the router and opened a port to the server to enable out of the office access. 3 of the 4 files open without a problem, but the 4th will not open. Could something be corrupt in a pref file or something?

P.S.- I tried creating a new file with a new set of scripts, using the same file references (created anew, not copied and pasted) to the external address and got the same results.

It's set to host a max of 50 (that was the default, I never changed it), and is currently hosting 7 files. Does the number of tables in the files themselves matter? That would be a total of 45 for all the hosted files.

If you use an opener file, make sure its file references are also using the same IP.

But since the problem seems to occur when opening the forth file, I'd suspect the problem is with a file reference with that file or the calling file.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem here! I don't understand why.

Now everybody who is working within the same network as the server cannot open the files on the server. Somewhat the external employees are able to connect.

Here's is a printscreen from the FMS admin. Why do I have two connections to the server? Weird

Bigger picture sshot8se6.jpg

Edited by Guest
Picture error

EUREKA!

I found the cause of my problem.

When I was opening a file, I was opening the file on the local network, my ip was then 192.168.x.x, but the file references were opening the files using an external address using the no-ip program, so my ip was the company IP such as 24.226.x.y.

Therefore the server thought that two different IPs with the same serial number were trying to connect to the FMS.

It took me 4 months to figure out what was wrong when I was changing the file reference...

Well, the file reference was to the external address and I was on the network when I tried to open the file, but it still doesn't explain why 3 f the 4 files I set the reference to opened, but the 4th didn't. All 4 of them have the same file reference path, except for the name of the file itself.

I guess I have to make 2 different openers to account for whenether the user is on the local network or outside the office.

When you are on the looking for a remote files, are you opening the files from the local network or from the external address?

Try to open the file from the external address even if you are inside the LAN.

• 1 year later...

I've been wrestling with this for most of the day. I can't find any problems with my external file references, but looking at the conversation between client & server via a tcpflow dump, I noticed the server's IP address switched from its LAN IP to its WAN IP at the point where my client requested the OpenSSL certificate, so that's presumably where the conflict occurs. I'm not in a position to turn off SSL at the moment (requires a server restart), but I'll give that a try over the weekend and see if it fixes the problem.

***EDIT***

Figured it out. I have two paths per file in my external file references, one with the LAN path and another with the WAN path. There was a reference for a file that no longer exists on the server, so, not finding it at the LAN path, FM then looked for it on the WAN path. That, of course, will cause the licensing conflict.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.