Portal Sorting

Jimjmn

This topic is 6147 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a portal with about 8 fields and I want to be able to sort the columns by clicking one of the 8 column headers. I have tried to make the header a button and use the sort record function to no avail. What am I doing Wrong?

portal sort orders a set when you define the portal or the relationship.

2 options (i can think of).

1. use the GetField function and sort the portal by that field. Use a global field to specify the name of the field to get. (can be slow)

2. Create multiple portals sorted in different orders then use a tab object to switch between the portals. (quicker performance)

Yeah, now that I finally got all my users running FM8/8.5, I'm finally getting around to using some new tricks, like the tabs for portal sorting buttons. Although this technique requires a little futzing to position everything right, the performance is super fast. When you compare that to the overhead and performance of the unstored calc technique, it's a clear winner.

I moved to using sorted portals on multiple tabs on some of the ones with large amounts of records and what a difference it made. On a portal displaying roughly 70K records, what used to take about 20 seconds on the initial sort with an unstored calc now can be completely done with the initial sort by 5 seconds.

Haha. Well the thing is that for portals that I know will have only end up having a small amount of records, I still use an unstored calc. This is because if you have many fields you want to sort by (let's say like 10) then purely from a maintenance perspective, as Ender pointed out, it gets tedious and annoying to change all 10 tabs to perfectly align up etc when making a design change.

Therefore, my personal preference has been to not change all sorted portals across the board in my solution; but rather use a hybrid system. With the portals that display a smaller amount of records, I still use an unstored calc as a sort key and use predetermined sorted portal on multiple tabs for large records amounts.

• 1 month later...

I agree, although the example you pointed to requires more than "a little futzing to position everything right". But now (v8.5) that tab panel selection can be controlled by buttons, I believe this limitation is removed.

However, to satisfy David's curiosity:

All numeric type data (number, date, time, timestamp) must be converted to text, and modified to ensure proper sorting. This is easy with dates, times and timestamps - you just pad them with zeros - but it can get very complex with numbers, because to do it right the full range of numbers, incl. very large numbers as well as very small fractions, positive as well as negative and zero, must be processed.

Regarding ascending/descending see here:

http://filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php?p=31584#post31584

I understand the limitations, or at least, the difficulties of the technique. But for a solution I'm working on right now, the calc seems perfect. I never produce non-English text and the client doesn't need to sort by a number field. And there's never more than 300 records in the portal.

I can't seem to explain myself properly. If you only want to sort on text fields, then you don't need a custom function, or translate to code, or reverse the text or any other fancy stuff. All you need is two global fields - gSortField and gSortOrder - and TWO calculation fields.

Both calcs get their data from the field indicated by gSortField, but one of them is always empty. Which field is empty is determined by gSortOrder. The portal is sorted by both calc fields, one in ascending order, the other in descending. That's it. And this will also work with text in any language and any alphabet.

Even so, multiple portals in a tab control object are a much better choice, IMHO. For example, you can include sub-sorts in your pre-defined sort orders (e.g. FirstName, LastName or LastName, FirstName or Company, LastName, FirstName). This would be rather complex to achieve with a calculation, esp. if the number of sub-sorts is not constant.

This topic is 6147 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.