Single label printing

mleiser

This topic is 6197 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was thinking of purchasing a label printer. That way whenever I need a single label I don't have to put in a whole sheet of thirty labels. Does anyone know if FM7 can easily use a single label printer and if yes, can anyone recommend the best one?

Mike

I agree... I have used Zebra printer previously. I used them in one of my previous jobs to print shipping labels in the warehouse. They are rather expensive though, so unless you are planning to use it for large commercial application and lots of labels as AudioFreak said, the Dymo label is good enough.

Also from my previous experience, there were speed issues with FM (at that time we were using FM6 & 7) and the Zebra. Normally the Zebra printer is VERY fast. It is a continuous roll of labels. However, my experience with it was that it used to pause between labels rather than speeding through them all as other programs did.

I dont know if this issue has been resolved since then, but I know that it was an issue for us. We even had a tech from Zebra come out to see if it was a driver issue etc, but knowing the ongoing issues that FM has with printing, it doesnt really surprise me if the issue was FileMaker.

Here was old thread to my issue back then.

Zebra Printer Issue

Vodka,

They still seem to print one at a time, but it's not painfully slow. About 700 labels takes maybe 10min. I think it's the printer using the guide to find the edge of the next label before it prints. Basically it spits a label out backs the paper in a bit and spits out another label.

Thanks Audiofreak for the update. However, I am not sure that was the issue because I had used both OCR marked cardstock as well as preforated. I tried troubleshooting the darn thing so many ways and for so long that eventually I just chalked it up to a FM printing issue. Again, with other applications, it had no issue at all regarless of what carstock and/or printer settings. Sigh, although I do apprecaite FMI bringing out new features with their new releases, I just wish that they would fix the ones that have been going on for years that are mission critical to every day business functionality.

:B

I am also trying to print single labels and have the Dymo Labeller. I cant 'seem to get the labels to print from Filemaker directly. Is there a way to format or set up the label layout that works with this? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I print ours using a regular layout. It can be trickey to get the bottom margin set right to not chop the labels off. Also make sure to print in 1 column[Down First]. Do this in layout mode, Layouts>Layout Setup>Printing

HTH

Tried your recommendation and no print appears on labels, I can copy to the clipboard and then print with the dymo label software but then lose my label format and the info on the label that isn't a field (ie. logo). Have played with margins as well without benefit.

I cant remember for FM7 but there are a few preset label sizes for some Dymo printer labels. You can also create custom sizes as well.

I think you should use a new layout to print the labels. It doesnt need a header or footer as a body is good enough.

I just installed my new one. When you create a layout for the dymo you have to craete a label that is one across and the dimensions of the label you will be using. Then it works.

I encountered another problem which is probably not specific to Dymo. I set up a script where I have a print setup(restore) step which doesn't work. It always goes back to my default printer. I go to print setup, choose the Dymo, go to the script, done, it asks if I want to use new setup for the print setup and I say yes. Then it still goes back to the default printer. Any help out there?

This topic is 6197 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.