Server Maintenance This Week. ×

how can it be achieved in FM

This topic is 6191 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

i attached an excel file as an example of what i am trying to achieve with FM.

I need a form with two linked fields when i assign value regardless in which one the linked field has to change.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Book1.zip

Edited by Guest

One way to achieve this effect in version 3 (version 3??!!) would be to have two relationships to the Clients table - one based on Name, the other on Country. Each selection field would lookup its value from the opposite relationship.

Just out of curiosity I tried to make a table where two fields were each lookups of the other. It doesn't really work how I would expect. If the record is empty, then the lookup will proceed as expected regardless of which field you populate first. But when you try to change the value of either field you cannot because the lookup is triggered and you can't even clear the values.

The file I attached is from v8, but the concept should operate similarly in older versions.

lookup.fp7.zip

Yes, you are right - it won't work that way. I tested this in version 4, and Filemaker won't even accept the definition of the second lookup. However, I am not going to agonize over this, because the more I think of the request, the less sense it makes to me. For this to work as shown (in any method), both Name and Country would have to be unique.

The "correct" way would be to choose from the related records SerialID's - which could be shown with either names or countries. Then both fields could lookup from a single relationship - or they could be eliminated altogether, and replaced by the related fields.

This topic is 6191 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.