Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Move record from one table to the next

This topic is 6176 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

You can isolate the record and Import.

But keep in mind normalization practices. Don't go putting duplicate records in copies of tables. When possible, keep records in their own tables and refer to them through relationships.

Usually when posters request to do this, flags go up and we usually ask what the purpose is for the duplication. As Ender pointed out, duplicating data as such goes against normalization.

Well, first off, I will be actually removing it from the original table. Due to the limitations on IWP communicating with my LDAP server, I am not allowing applicants to re-access their Application (record), for security issues (confidential information). So, if their connection blips, or they are unable to finish their application, then I will have them reset it (or copy it to the "deleted" table and then delete it from the existing table). Although it is highly unlikely, I want to be able to retrieve old applications, in case there someone maliciously obtains someone's student ID, and wishes to delete applications of others.

So, there's the long version =)

How do you use the Import Record Step to import from one table to the next?

Thanks

***UPDATE: I will need to use Web-compatible steps...I might just have to do a field by field copy.

However, if you have the genius to do it another way (which I would not be surprised to find out) then I welcome it.

Thanks again.

P.S. Ender and Vodka, just wanted to say thanks for all the help you have personally given me with my problems. I almost feel like you are my FileMaker mentors...better than any tutorial I've run through =P

One methode to move data from one table to another is to copy the record key to the second table and then use lookups to pull in the related data from the first table.

Not sure it this method will work for your process but might be better that copying each individual field.

I am not too sure about your exact issue on IWP, but if you are worried about partially filled records, You could have the users enter their data into globals. Then a submit button can be used to call a script that creates the new record and populates it with the values of the global fields.

One methode to move data from one table to another is to copy the record key to the second table and then use lookups to pull in the related data from the first table.

How exactly do you do this, I'm not familiar with "record keys" or how to use them.

if you are worried about partially filled records, You could have the users enter their data into globals. Then a submit button can be used to call a script that creates the new record and populates it with the values of the global fields.

I kind of see what you are getting at, but my problem is that at times, more than one person is accessing the "Application" and keying in their data. So would globals work, or would they potentially get over-written, if multiple people are entering data at the same time?

This topic is 6176 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.