Server Maintenance This Week. ×

No v9 Trial Download link arrived

This topic is 6143 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Yeh, I'm not that excited now, the lack of event triggers is disappointing, I would've rather had those than auto resizing objects. And.. no thin client ;) But runtimes with MySQL could be a possibility.

BUT the SQL inclusion is brilliant, so yay...

I don't think the MySQL ODBC feature is available with run-times.

Have you not seen yet that PDFs are now low-fat, and they can be appended to (ie, merge pdfs).

Hey Vaughan.

You're are right sir, MySQL ODBC is not available with run-time and the low fat and appended PDF's makes for a whole new program.

A Hog farmer wants me set up a solution for him in 9 but I'll have to turn him down. FMP is still not available in Swine Language. ;)

Harry

I have a little window open. It's very simple. It has a portal.

When i resize the window the portal resizes and more portal rows appear.

Every now and again i switch to that window and resize it.

This makes me smile a very big smile.

Thats all, simple but true.

Hey Comment,

“Pearl before the swine” isn’t that some kind of pagan ritual or something? Hey, we know pagan! I didn’t even ask if the farmer had a daughter…

Stu,

Man I can’t tell you how happy we are you leaned how to open and close a window. That it made you “smile a very big smile” is just that much more perfect for us…. Admittedly we are all quite happy it was a small window such exuberance could only be lost on a large one!

Harry

Harry, i have every right to be happy as the core of my prediction of last year came true.

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/180442/

Maybe the interfaces in your world will be better now. LOL

Notes:

• I did not open and close the window, I switched to it as mentioned.

• It was a small window but now it is a big one ... I resized it. sorry to dissapoint you.

PDFs are now low-fat

Have the bloated PDF's supposedly been fixed, then? I just created one (100k) that turned out slightly smaller than one created with 8.5 but is still much larger than printing straight to Acrobat Pro 8 (12k). So I'm still seeing lots of bloat, but maybe that's related to fonts or some other issue.

Hey Stu,

The explanation just made things worse on so many levels. There is not a one of us, Ok maybe Genx, who didn't see you sitting there flashing "big-little, big-little", big-little" ;) with that big smile on your face. :smile2: No I did not say “Flasher” that’s another forum. Hey are you known as BigWindow over there? Of course I personally would know nothing of such a forum, Genx told me about it.:shocked: He just tries to fool us with all his FileMaker mumbo-jumbo…

Maybe the interfaces in your world will be better now. LOL

Oh yes, the World! Where we go to strange new worlds... That's why I'm here Stu to meet some of you "Strange new Mondooker's". Present company not withstanding. :

Hey Comment, did we decide Pig's do fly or what?

We really get to the heart of this FileMaker stuff don't we? Ok-Ok I'll go back to the World... Man oh man this is a tough rooom.

Harry

Hey Stuart,

For some reason you seem to think i should be embarrassed by this behavior.

To the contrary I think its just right. One of my most favorate quotes is by Mark Twain and I’m sure he will not mind my borrowing it…

[color:blue]"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you’ve never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

Harry

Have the bloated PDF's supposedly been fixed, then? I just created one (100k) that turned out slightly smaller than one created with 8.5 but is still much larger than printing straight to Acrobat Pro 8 (12k). So I'm still seeing lots of bloat, but maybe that's related to fonts or some other issue.

Yes PDFs creation have been better optimized, however they will still be larger in size than creating PDFs via other methods. You are absolutely correct that it is related to fonts. I recieved these answers from a FM engineer.

Yes PDFs creation have been better optimized, however they will still be larger in size than creating PDFs via other methods. You are absolutely correct that it is related to fonts. I recieved these answers from a FM engineer.

Thanks for confirming! Do you have any suggestions on fonts that will minimize size? I tend to stick with Arial but could easily switch to something else.

James

www.james-mc.com

Hey Genx,

Naw, I never get bored with Ender. He’s a constant source of material. I mean, what can you say bad about Ender… That’s not already been said! :(

BTW have you check out the new ability to disable a button? Very Kool… With Conditional Formatting, all you have to do is select a button and choose Format -> Conditional. You can even tell it to turn the button’s label and/or fill color to a lighter shade of whatever color you’ve chosen. Very simple, very easy and very Kool. Yah sometimes it’s the simple things that trip your trigger.

Now Genx, please note when I said simple, I made absolutely not reference to my close personal friend Ender! Just the other day Ender was overheard saying, “Harry’s one of my best fiends”! :ooo: See, close and personal…

Harry

Hey Steven,

Right you are it does not disable it if it's clicked on. It is disabled in appearance only... Hey that sounds like we're still talking about Ender.

Thanks Steven...

Harry

Edited by Guest

Man, you can't turn your back for a second around here without someone sneaking up with a knife. What's up with that? And from my own space-faring kin! :

And to go and mislead everyone about disabling buttons, shame on you! :( At least we have dedicated folk like Steven to set you straight. Nope, you're not getting away with that stuff over here, buddy. Although he didn't jump in and defend my good name, what's up with that? And what's with Genx trying to stir the pot?

Anyway, you didn't follow up with how to actually finish disabling the greyed out button. We wouldn't want Genx to tell his little friends that it can't be done or something.

You could use a global variable in a let function to disable a button based a on condition though. so it would read

Let(

$$disableScript = if( condition ; true ; false)

;

same condition as above

)

Then just insert the $$disableScript into an if condition at the top of your script and you are good to go. this seems technically sound, it might not be the best way of doing it but it's an idea.

Hey Ender,

If I had any idea you would be lurking around the forum; I'd have been a Wormer Gentler FileMaker-In.

Thank you there ol SixFried. Hey didn't I know your sister StirFried?

Another idea would be to simply modify the button script so it does not perform a function when hidden. Start your script with something like,

If [ IsEmpty(Contact::ClientName) ]

Exit Script

End If

Harry

Yes but unforunately it still annoying to have it turn into a hand cursor when its invisible if you have the option on. It would be nice to turn it off depending on a functional button or not.

You know her? How's she been?

So... I think the benefit of doing it the way I was referring to is that you don't have to maintain the same condition in two different places. So this way you would only need to define the condition once... so if it changed... you would only need to change it once. Definitely a benefit.... I haven't tested it throughly but I plan on putting together some more info on it and adding it to my site shortly.

You are correct though... both ways would work and in your method there would be no errant globals hanging around if you used your version.

Edited by Guest

You know what... I think the best way to handle problem of not wanting to maintain the condition and not have to use the weird global variable solution is to just put the condition in a custom function and then stick it at the top of the script and in the conditional formating as Harry suggested.

This approach allows for continuity between the two conditions but doesn't have the frailties of my global variable solution.

Hey There SixFried,

I agree, I'd handle it with a custom function as well. I just try to stay away from it where possible here on the forums because most FileMaker-In's do not have FMP Advanced...

I think everyone would agree if you do your design work on a Mac and have FMP Advanced you are close to being a God! I always like to close on a note everyone can agree with... :(

My good friend Ender tells me that although he cannot walk on water, He has no problem with Lilly Pads.

Harry

This topic is 6143 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.