Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Send Mail doesn't create new message in Entourage 2004?

davidtraveller

This topic is 5489 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello. I'm running FM Pro 8.5 on Mac OS X 10.4 with MS Office 2004. I have a script that calls the SendMail step and places 400 addresses in the To: field. I am allowing the dialog to appear. When I run the script, Entourage starts up but neither a new message nor a draft are created.

The script works fine with Apple Mail - the new message appears with all the addresses in the To: field.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

David

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently having the same problem on a Windows 2003 server. The send mail script step runs, but no email client is loaded. I can run the script on other computers within the office, just not the one system I need it to run on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, it would be good if FileMaker could also support Entourage. But then other email apps would complain that they weren't supported.

There is always AppleScript, which Entourage supports. Email AppleScripts are very similar between Apple Mail and Entourage. Here is a simple example:

set emailaddress to "[email protected]"

set JobDescription to "job description"

set JobStatus to "Good to go"

set MailSubject to "Job"

tell application "Microsoft Entourage"

activate

set MyMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {recipient:emailaddress, subject:MailSubject, content:JobDescription & JobStatus}

open MyMessage

end tell

I'll have to have a play - the last time I did any applescripting was on System 7 :(

I'll look at getting the script to determine if its a PC or a Mac client that is trying to send the eMail and handle it differently from there.

Thanks for the code sample, it will give me a head start :

Yes, Entourage has pretty good AppleScript support. It's a bit clunky perhaps, vs. the Apple Mail support, which can be obscure. Pick your poison, as they say :(-]

I just did a search on Entourage send at http://www.macscripter.net, where there's a lot of info.

One thing I noticed was the way Entourage wants you to do attachments. This is a simple example of how to do multiple attachments (as a list within the properties list). You would of course put your own filepaths to files, which you could add dynamically.

tell application "Microsoft Entourage"

activate

set theSubject to "TEST SCRIPT"

set theBody to "TEST OF THE BODDY USING THE NEW SCRIPT"

set attach1 to alias "Macintosh HD:Users:fej:Desktop:ttt.txt"

set attach2 to alias "Macintosh HD:Users:fej:Desktop:screencap.png"

set new_message to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:theSubject, content:theBody, attachment:{attach1, attach2}}

open new_message

end tell

This topic is 5489 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.