Database Listed as Normal, but cannot be Remotely Opened

This topic is 6123 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I'm running FMServer 8 Adv. and have a big problem. In the Admin control window of the FMServer, I have 3 databases, 2 Samples and one custom. All of their status' reads "Normal", nothing is closed or disabled. My problem is that when I open FMP8 and try to remotely open the databases I have on the FMServer, I can open the 2 samples but my custom one isn't there. I'm using a Mac server with Mac clients trying to connect to the server. Any suggestions? Thanks!

In the FileMaker Network Setting make sure you don't have the "Don't Display in Open Remote File Dialog" checked. Also make sure that you have it available to some users. There is a "No Users" radio button.

In addition are the owners and groups of the file set right in OS X? Without looking I think Owner is FMAdmin and Groups is FMServer.

I checked the settings and it looks like your suggestions and AudioFreak's are both correct, but the problem still persists.

In addition are the owners and groups of the file set right in OS X? Without looking I think Owner is FMAdmin and Groups is FMServer.

Here's the way it's set up. The FMServer is its own server (Server X, for example), and all of the users connect to Server X and then view the list of FM DB's from there. Two of the sample DB's on Server X can be opened by everyone, but the custom one can't. The strange thing - if the users connect to my machine the custom file is listed and can be opened. Hope this clarifies a few things.

Hope this clarifies a few things.

Not exactly.

How are users "connecting"? Using Open Remote or some other method?

Two of the sample DB's on Server X can be opened by everyone, but the custom one can't.

Do you see your file listed in the Open Remote dialog, or is it listed but won't open? If it won't open, what's the error?

What does the event.log file on the server say about the file?

Group should be "fmsadmin", the others don't matter.

How are users "connecting"? Using Open Remote or some other method?

Open remote.

Do you see your file listed in the Open Remote dialog, or is it listed but won't open? If it won't open, what's the error?

The file isn't in the Open Remote dialog at all.

Edited by Guest

Fixed the problem. Had to go into Accounts and Privileges and enable "Access via FileMaker Network" in the extended privileges dialog box and assign it to one of the accounts (I used the Admin one). Everything shows up. Thanks!!

Maybe you can elaborate? If the FM Server is in the group fmsadmin, then it would have permission, right?

What are the issues?

I was having issues where clients would get a "file is not modifiable" error because moving the files from the client to the server it had not inherited the correct permissions and still held the old permissions of my user login for owner and admin for the group.

Support had me change it to Owner FMServer, Group FMSAdmin and I have not had a single issue since.

I suppose if you add your user to the FMSAdmin group it could work, but then again why would their software create the owner FMServer if you were not supposed to use it? :

This topic is 6123 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.