Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Get (SystemUserName)

This topic is 6135 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

"With Get( HostName ) FM pulls up the computer name."

Not at all.

This function returns the name of the computer that is *hosting* the file. This is not necessarily the name of the computer that the client is using: in fact if the file is shared on another computer running FM Server, the function *won't* return the client computer's name.

You will probably have to adjust your script or run either the VBScript or Applescript depending on system platform detection.

OK, how would I do that? Sorry, I'm new at this. Will this work on FM or is this only a web publish technique?

Sorry to ask, but where do I enter this? How does script maker deal with VB & Applescript? I am assuming it does, but I just can't see where.

thanks

It is fairly easy to get on a Mac, especially the short name. Which, by the way, you could fairly easily parse using just FileMaker, from the Get ( DocumentsPath ). But if you need the "long name" also, then I think you'd need AppleScript. It runs (very well) in a Perform AppleScript script step. But it has some peculiarities, such as that it either needs the field on the layout, or be specified by table (TO); easiest (and least breakable) to go to the layout.

SystemUser.fp7.zip

This topic is 6135 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.