Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Limits on developing a runtime using Filemaker Advanced

This topic is 6113 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I'm new + I hope this is a good place for this query.

I want to develop some runtime solutions using v9 Advanced.

What are the limits? Can I only develop runtimes that are read-only or can users add data, say, into a table collecting names, etc?

Is there a limit on the number of related tables into which the user can add data?

The description of Filemaker pro Advanced is unclear on the limits and I don't want to spend $ hundreds to find out!

Thanks.

Users can add data. Users cannot edit the file structure (add tables or fields).

As far as limits to tables go, they are the same as for FM Pro client. That is, if you can create a file and use it in FM Pro, it'll work with the runtime, with the excetion of ODBC connectivity or networking.

From the Filemaker website runtime info ;)

"Please note that runtime applications cannot be shared over a network, do not include the ability to create Adobe® PDF or Microsoft® Excel files, and do not include the support for External SQL Data Sources."

Assuming your building a shrink-wrap application, you'll need to develop a method for the user to upgrade and keep their data. Unlike a customer that you service, you can't go there and do the import/export for them. It must be scripted and perfect.

But as far as number of tables, fields, relationships, etc., as Vaughan says, no difference.

Barbara, IMHO I doubt that we would see this capability any time in the near future. Most likely as part of the licensing agreement for the PDF creation code, they had to agree not to include it with a runtime as it would only take one runtime to use this code unlimitedly.

Just my 2 cents.

This topic is 6113 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.