Childern and Parents

grumbachr

This topic is 6195 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've been driving myself crazy with this one. I keep getting close to what I need but its not quite right. I think it would be best if I describe what I'm trying to do.

I have a questionnaire someone will fill out.As they fill it out it creates a contact record for them. In the process it asks for their parents information. As they input their parents contact info I want that to create contact records for one of both parents.

I've gotten it where I can create one parent but not 2. I'm attaching a file that I've been working with so you can see what I've done.

Any advice/tips are appreciated.

family.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I downloaded the file and the first thing I noticed is that evey occurance in the relationship view is of the same table.

Created new table for each of these and your problem will go away. So you would end up with 4 tables.

1. Contacts

2. Contacts_mom

3. Contacts_dad

4. Family

Regards

Phillip

I wouldn't create more tables just yet.

What you need is to add more criteria to your relationships. For the contact_mom::contacts, Contact_ID=Mom_ID and for contact_dad::contacts, Contact_ID = Dad_ID.

This is just the basic beginning, depending on what you're trying to accomplish. What happens if a child has more than two custodial parents? Or the parents are the same gender?

This topic is 6195 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.