Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

beginner question - hopefully easy to answer

todd.debacker

This topic is 6226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Sorry to ask this, but I cant find a simple answer anywhere.

I have multiple tabs in my file, and only one table with 60 or so fields total, so say 10 per tab. I want to block people to only use one tab (so only 10 fields). I dont mind if they can click the other tabs, I just dont want them to be able to read the information in them.

I think I need to mess with the field access but when I go to custom privileges it pops-up the specify calcuation box and I have no idea what to type in.

Say I want to allow access to 3 fields titled - FirstName, LastName, and Phone. How would something like this look in the dialog box?

Thanks

-todd debacker

What criteria determine who can see what fields? Are you saying that once those first three fields are filled in you would allow access to the next group of fields? If so there are techniques to hide the tabs and drive the navigation with buttons.

No, not exactly what I mean.

Basically, I want someone to have access to create and view records, but only for fields in one or two tabs. I will set up multiple accounts so people have access to only two or so tabs that apply to them.

I know that you can specify which fields people are able to view or create in, but I dont know how to program the 'Specify Calculation' box that comes up when I click on custom priveleges.

-todd debacker

When you set Records to Custom privileges, select a table from the list and change Field Access to limited. No calculation required, just modifiable, view only, or no access.

This is also a perfect time to use the new conditional formatting feature!

select the field you do not want access and select conditional formatting. Use the formula option, and use the following calculation

Get ( AccountName ) = "insert account name"

then set the font colour and fill colour to the same and you'll have a field that no one can type into without that ugly

Jeff England

Yes I have tried it and it works pretty well, you can even put custom messages in the field(sorta). I have a lil demo file, nothing spectacular by any means, but you can see what I have done.

Jeff England

[email protected]

Priviliges_Conditional.fp7.zip

Priviliges_Conditional.fp7.zip

Edited by Guest
forgot something in the example file

Jeff,

thanks for posting the example, I figured out how to do the access control now.

My last question when the file opens, what account it logged in and how is this decided. I'd like to have the first page be a log in screen or a pop-up log in screen whenever the file is opened.

Thanks,

-todd debacker

This topic is 6226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.