copy / paste or use variables?

G$

This topic is 6129 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm stuck here... I have a portal of quotes and need to copy / paste the quote number into another table that holds the lines.

I can get it (via script) to go to the quote number field, then go into quote lines table and create a new line and paste the quote number. That way they show up in the portal (linked via relationship).

I've read in here that using the clipboard isn't a good practice so I've been trying to change my ways and implement the variables...

How do I paste a variable into a new record? Easy question right?

TIA!

G$

If you have a relationship between "Lines" table" and "Quotes" table then you should not have a problem displaying that data without any scripts or Copy/Paste functions.

Set relationship

Quotes table::QuoteID = Lines table::fk_QuoteID

That is assuming Quote as Parent table and Lines as Child table.

Set your layout set up to Quotes as the main table and the portal to Lines table.

I believe this should solve your problem.

hth

Allow me to clarify:

I have a relationship: quotes and quote_lines. quote_lines is in the portal of quotes. They link via quote_number.

To get them to show up, each record of quote_lines must have the quote_number in it's record. Hence why I need to copy it from quote and paste it into quote_line's record.

I can set variable and open quote_lines, but can't get the variable ($Quote_number) to paste into the field.

Nice! Solves that problem... but it doesn't help in another area...

If I were to make an icon to "go to that line". It would grab an id and switch over to Quote_lines and find it. How would I accomplish that?

This topic is 6129 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.