Extend function problem

Danshan

This topic is 6121 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have two repeating fields, Term, and Win. Win is a pop up field with only one value, "X". I have a non-repeating field, Win Term. I am simply trying, upon entering "X" in the Win Field to have the contents of the corresponding Term field placed in the Win Term Field. Have used the Extend Function but am missing something-can only get the first Term value. Would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Term Win

Term Win ?

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

The field, Term, must be repeating as I bid jobs with different terms, but will only win one of the terms. I will use the winning term in other calculations if it is selected with an X. I could use a checkbox set, but I'm not sure its any easier. In one case the checkbox would be "x" or blank, in the pop up box its either "x" or blank. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Guest

Term, must be repeating as I bid jobs with different terms, but will only win one of the terms

Hopefully are you aware of the violation of relational principle's here - it would be beneficial to know whether or not is done deliberately??

Jobs in plural seems more obviously broken out as tablename as in a separate table. But why is this task being thrown after a releational database, in the first place, when "flattening" hardly ever, if at all?? Does anything to flatter the gist of the tool.

--sd

• Newbies

I am not intentionally trying to violate anything. I just simply want to have information in a repeating field show up in a non repeating field if another repeating field contains "x". If this is a violation of a relational principle, perhaps I should have another work around. I wanted the defined term to look something like "extend(if(Win="x";Term,""))" Perhaps this can't be done. Thanks for your help.

Of course it could be done! Similar could Dan Acroyds way of parallel parking in Bluesbrothers with the timed appropriate pull in the handbrake, but more convenient methods exists.

Similar do you have to take the deficiencies you impose on the data structure by utilizing repaters into the equation as well.

Instead would I urge you to explain why it isn't considered worth the efford to break data out into, say a portal.

You descripe yourself as novice, and as such do you need to hessitate the desire to flush repeaters all over the solution. Repeaters are cool for utility purposes, but when using them for storing data are you painting yourself into a corner.

Multi valued fields are nowhere in the database world really embraced ...first normalform deals exactly with this as the most important issue to solve.

--sd

Doesn't gods usually issue doctrines though profets, instead of replying questions with other questions?

--sd

and don't you mean "prophets"

BTW, you used the quick post [color:red]again

This topic is 6121 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.