Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Has anyone tested FM8 or 8.5 on Leopard yet?

This topic is 5927 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Most discussion of the Leopard/FM fiasco is on the FM9 forum, but for those of us with FM8 destined to get a Leopard machine, is there somewhere we can turn for initial reports of what works, what doesn't and (gulp) what crashes? (I know it's not *supported*, but the question of course is how well I can limp along 'til I can afford FM9; my new machine is budgeted for me, but FM is "luxury" software...)

Thanks, tv_kid. Apparently FileMaker refuses even to *test* versions 8 and prior with Leopard. So, they don't even know whether there are more issues than the three they mention for FM 8.5?

So, I'm still hoping some other adventurous souls, perhaps Leopard-users on this list who are upgrading to 9 anyway, will happen to be able to test out FM8 and report on whether the sky falls. :

mbsteed, can you say more? After all, 8.5 is supposed to work on Leopard apart from the 3 issues named on FM's site. Could you clarify: did you *create* the databases in Leopard, and then they didn't open? Or do you just mean that any existing databases don't open?

Also, are you using any IWP or localization in your databases? For convenience, this is what FM says (in the article mentioned above) about FM 8.5 on Mac OS 10.5:

We have completed limited testing of FileMaker Pro 8.5 running on Leopard and have found some key issues:

1. Region/language issue: On Leopard, each language version of FileMaker Pro 8.5 works only when the Mac OS System Preference "International Formats Region" is set to a specific region. For example, the English language version of FileMaker works only when the region is United States. It does not work when the region is United Kingdom, or Australia, or France, or any other region.

2. Save to Excel and Export to Excel cause FileMaker Pro 8.5 to hang.

3. The Instant Web Publishing (IWP) feature does not work.

We plan to provide a software patch to fix the first two issues in FileMaker Pro 8.5 and FileMaker Pro 8.5 Advanced. This patch should be available as a download in December 2007. For timely news on the availability of this patch, please subscribe to FileMaker News, or click the "Notify Me" button below.

The IWP feature in FileMaker Pro 8.5 was designed and implemented long before the Leopard release, and it is not feasible to update it for Leopard.

These databases were created in 10.4 and were working fine with Filemaker Pro Advanced 8.5.

If I double click on Filemaker Pro Advanced 8.5 in Leopard, it is not consistent; sometimes it opens up, fails to open, and sometimes I can create a new database. However, if I try to open a database that I have previously created (or even one of the built-in templates) the beach ball spins for some time then the program fails. This is on both computers (Intel laptop & G5).

By the way this is the only program I have that seems to fail in Leopard (I have a large number of programs).

Edited by Guest

Since Filemaker is reporting that 8.5 should be working I suspect I might have the same problem in 9. Right now it fails and these files are not involved databases - I am not trying to do anything fancy like Instant web publishing or anything like that - it fails when the file loads.

I suspect this would also be a problem with run-time versions as well - that will affect me right away. The December patch seems like a long ways off with the program failing and that fix probably won't address the problems I am reporting.

Edited by Guest

;) Ah, I am embarrassed. I read the fine print about the region and just realized that I am set to Canada - it doesn't really feel like an international zone. When I make the change to USA I am able to load my files.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I updated to the latest 8.5v2 upgrade and have been running Leopard succesfully until I tried to 'save as PDF'. That was when I realized I couldn't do this. Any idea whether this is really an incompatibility I won't be able to get around at all unless I upgrade to FM9 Advanced?

Considering that Adobe hasn't updated their Acrobat Professional app yet I am stuck 'saving as Postscript' then opening in Preview and resaving as PDF each time I wish to print something from Filemaker. Since nearly all of my Filemaker work is designed to print to PDF first, its going to be a lot of extra work for me.

I guess at the end of the day, if they are going to force me to purchase fm9 even though they claim it works with Leopard, all I want to hear from this forum is that fm9 prints properly in the new OS and that there aren't other glaring known issues to worry about.

thanks

This sounds like a bug to me, and it should be reported to FileMaker, if it hasn't been done already.

As a side note, I attempted to download the update for v8.5 to see if I could recreate the problem, and link appears to be down or broken, and I reported it.

Lee

This topic is 5927 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.