Container Field Formatting

This topic is 6104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to push some boundaries with container fields.

I would like to use them in combination with conditional formatting to represent various parts for the kitchen cabinets I build.

The goal is to have colors for these parts change based upon attributes such as thickness, etc.

I need some help formatting the graphic so that the color completely fills the boundary of the container field. There is a small zone at the ends of each container field that does not completely fill with color, and this distracts from my goal.

I have the container fields formatted to reduce or enlarge as necessary to fit frame.

Any ideas how to make this happen?

Thanks,

Jarvis

container_field_fill_.JPG

Hi Jarvis,

If the containers only hold a color swatch, why use them instead of a regular button (with conditional formatting attached to THAT)? A button can be formatted any way you wish (including looking like a regular rectangle) and will format perfectly and won't require a field in your Define Fields. Just another approach.

LaRetta :wink2:

Edited by Guest
Corrected 'rectangle' to 'button'

I wondered if you meant that you wanted a graphic and only the background behind the grahpic to color. Here are examples of each technique. To colorize the background of the container, you don't need a swatch and can instead put a picture of the cabinet there.

I didn't have a cabinet. :

LaRetta

testcabinets.zip

LaRetta's example is great, but will not work in FM8. (thank you LaRetta, your example helps me.) The fade of the color is most likely caused by the size of your "Color" graphic you put in the container field. I like this effect in the solution I maintain and have increased the "fade" by using a smaller graphic (just a couple of pixies in size) and having the container "Stretch" it to a very large size. To eliminate this effect, use an oversized "Color" graphic and make the container shrink it or better yet, crop it.

Edited by Guest
(oversize graphic and cropping makes more sense.)

Dang! I swear I always look at the version before responding! But when I heard the term 'Conditional formatting' then I, well, I assumed :

Conditional formatting is rockin' cool!

LaRetta,

You did get it right. I am on FM9 Advanced but have not yet updated my profile.

When I select a text field or container field I get the option to conditionally format. When I select a button this option is greyed out.

I'm on a Mac if that makes any difference.

I did come up with a workaround albeit with extra fields.

By creating a text field named "Side", I could conditionally format but also with the ability to have a black border surrounding the yellow fill pattern.... if that makes sense.

Would still like to try this your way with the buttons.

Any ideas about that greyed out option?

Jarvis

My Mac currently doesn't have batteries (to test it on Mac). :

To be clear ... because it DOES work on Windows ... select Insert > Button. Set it to do nothing. De-select the button then select it again. Then select Format > Conditional. It won't work if you use the rectangle!

I think we may be missing exactly what you want. Can you post a file for us showing the problem and your recent work-around, instead of just a picture?

Hi LaRetta,

I finally figured out your insert button path.

My whole career so far has consisted of dragging things onto the layout. I never even knew the menu bar.

(sorry to have to cop to that)

Here's what I was talking about.

In this example I have conditionally formatted a button and a number field.

When I zoom in on both objects, my screen shows a vague shadow like effect on the button. The graphic representation is a bit more concise when displayed as a number field. This could be just a graphics or old eyes issue too.

My original question related to conditionally formatting container fields. In that case I could not get the white endzone to disappear when conditonally formatting color. That's probably a bigger deal to me on a list type layout where I use a button in the background to conditionally highlite a row.

Problem is probably solved for now.

Thanks for your help.

Jarvis

conditional_graphics.fp7.zip

Edited by Guest

I guess I'm not completely without skill.

It does take a special talent to stay a newbie as long as I have.

Thanks Comment!

I finally figured it out.

Jarvis

This topic is 6104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.