Protecting users data when updating runtime solution

Peter Bowen

This topic is 5975 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greetings and thanks in advance for your time. I'm planning a FM runtime solution to provide desktop functionality to replace a a web-based app I had developed a while ago.

I'd like to be able to update the application without overwriting the user's data.

Is this a built in feature that will happen without me having to think about it?

If not, what is the recommended method of doing so?

Thanks

Pete Bowen

Ex Access Fan

Edited by Guest

Sounds like you need to adopt the "separation model".

Data in one file, Interface in another. However it still won't help if you add fields to the "Data" file. Otherwise you will need to script an update routine to import the records from the original solution to the new one.

• 1 month later...

Just my opinion, but for a few years now, I have tried to do this, and to no avail. It would be nice if FM would implement this into their next version, but I won't hold my breath.

I know I have heard that the Troi Plugin will do it, but no one I know has used it, ans so I am leary of it. Besides it is expensive for the developer...

Then we come to the export/import scripting...This is a joke to me. My solution in one form alone has over 100 fields and thus makes errors when importing back in. So for now, we have.....nothing.

Wish I had better news..

This topic is 5975 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.