Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Wish...Evaluate as a Script Step...

This topic is 5903 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

As the Evaluate function does for calculations, have a script step do the same thing...then we could have total dynamic control over scripts... every step could be written as a dynamic...first step toward AI...maybe this is already in here...maybe I'm delirious....I'm on day four of a serious flu....press here to exit...help me Spock......Royce

• 2 weeks later...

AI...that's Albert Ignoramus.... yea, I'm always delirious, too.... Okay - I guess an event trigger is right, but not so much as we think of a stand alone event trigger as much as a totally dynamic, on-the-fly, set any other step as needed, step. Imagine a script where each step is an "Evaluate" type of step...in essence, you could have a script with 20 "evaluate steps" (or a let function with a bunch of case evaluates...snicker....)....and each step changes based on what ran before based on what was passed to it based on what was defined based on....you get the idea.. you can code for any potential situation with some sweet recursive logic and .... spock, what are the odds of being able to write a single script step to control it all... well, they're pretty astromomical anyway...but what if.... I mean we have four levels of infinity....why not an evaluate script step?

[NB: Colin - Set Variable, Evaluate and If [] allow you to control functions, not "Dynamically Generate" another script step (like SetField...onthefly..... the thought is to be able to generate a particular script step in a script based on certain criteria/elements.... thus, you don't need a lot of case/if branches to test for everything...would shorten code and take in bunches and bunches of consideration...like Evaluate does for functions...oh the thought makes me, well... delirious ...

A very simple example:

ScriptEvaluate ( Condition Test; [“Set Field [” & Get(LayoutTableName) & “:):” & Get(LayoutName) & “;” & “I’m gone – Bye!]”]

In short, make some tests, if the condition you want exists, automatically code out the step you need in that place……and then the next “ScriptEvaluate” can be based on that and so on…. I thought it was cool…but then again, I was/am/will be delirioususususus…. It boggles my mind….but so do bubbles….zip-a-dee-do-dah….

]

I think Ahem LaRetta is on to it (déjà vu, déjà vu, déjà vu)...it's like an event trigger...only better!!

hum de dum.....bye...Roycilirious

I want what Royce is smokin' :giggle:

UPDATE: I would say you are a very big dreamer. And I am pleased that you are. We need more dreamers in this world. And all things are possible - even in the world of FileMaker. Ahem, well, except maybe good import/export dialog boxes.

DOUBLE-UPDATE: And I STILL don't know who Al is!

TRIPLE-UPDATE: Oh, yeah, AI not AL ... Royce must have sneaked some of his joy juice in me already. Okay, it doesn't take much but it threw my typing off!

Edited by Guest

That's because I am elliptical........ actually, when a small child, my life was change by an elliptical oculus with a splayed limestone embrasure..what a sight......do we have to work today? AND what the heck are Vanilla Clusters?? I had some for breakfast...very strange.... I gotta stop using Agave sweetener...... somebody pass the coffee.....

SELF = Get(BrainDamage); Exit.....

This topic is 5903 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.