Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Default menu set

Mandu

This topic is 5887 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm adding custom menu sets as an afterthought. As I understand it, here's what FM gives us to manage menu sets:

1. I define a "Default Menu Set" for the file in the Define>Custom Menu Sets dialog.

2. For each layout, I select a Menu Set; either the Default Menu Set or one of my custom ones.

3. I can programatically change menu sets with the Install Menu Set script step.

For the solution I'm retrofitting this to, I want there to be two user modes: basic, and expert. For Basic, I want a single, highly restricted menu set to be in place. For the Expert, I want the complete Filemaker set. (There's an authentication script that establishes which category you fall into.)

I don't think I can implement this using the File-level and the Layout-level menu sets, can I? Do I actually have to go through my scripts looking for every place that I go to another Layout, and add a call to a subscript that does an appropriate Install Menu Set?

Thanks

Chap

do you script navigation to every layout? if you do you can "test" the current user or any stored variables and install the appropriate layout when you script a layout change.

on startup I set a $$dev variable to 1 when in development mode then every script that navigates test to see if $$dev is true then it installs the "Standard" menus otherwise it installs my custom menus. (depending on layout)

I think I found a simpler way, and I hope I'm not wrong about this.

The Install Menu Set script step has an option called Use As File Default. So, in the authentication script, I can install the appropriate menu set and designate it to be the (temporary) default set for the file.

All of my layouts are defined to use the File Default Set.

Mission accomplished! (?)

This topic is 5887 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.