Can filemaker extract a URL

hartmut

This topic is 5869 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Using GetLayoutObjectAttribute("x";"content") - where x is the name of a Web Viewer object on your layout - you get the source of the web page. From there you can use text functions to parse out the URL.

We are attempting to use several online search engines ( ie Sample Recruiting Search) to link recruiting data to prospects in our system. Once the results page has been returned and the specific recruit has been selected, we would like to link the url for his page to his record in the database.

If we do the search in a web browser we can manually copy and paste the url. We would like to "capture" the url from within the webviewer.

Unfortunately when we try to capture the source, the page url or recruit ID code is not explicitly listed in the code.

All we would really need is to capture the information displayed in the webviewer status area as it loads. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Paul

You can get the URL of the viewed page by:

GetLayoutObjectAttribute( "YourWebViewerName" ; "source" )

Note that this might not work well if the site dynamically changes the content of the current page, instead of fetching a new one.

When I use the GetLayoutObjectAttribute("MyWebViewerName":"source") I get the url of the original web viewer page, even though the web viewer status area shows the new url that is being loaded as a result of the search.

When I use GTLOA("MyWebViewerName":"content") I get the source code of the original web viewer page and not the source of the search result.

Is there a way to "trigger" the GetLayoutObjectAttribute that I am missing?

Thanks,

Paul

How are you using these functions? If it's in a calculation field, make sure it's UNSTORED. If it's in a script (as it seems it should be), you shouldn't be having this problem:

Set Field [ URL ; GetLayoutObjectAttribute ( "YourWebViewerName" ; "source" ) ]

Sorry, I thought you were looking to retrieve a URL that was displayed *on* the page, not the URL *of* the page itself. Well, now you know two ways to use GetLayoutObjectAttribute. :

This topic is 5869 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.