"Closing database "xxxx" due to damaged temporary file..." issue in filemaker server 9

This topic is 4581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

i got an issue in FileMaker Server advanced 9. Few days before one of the FileMaker file hosted at the server closed autometically B) and when i checked the event log file i got the following text:

[color:red]2008-05-19 14:17:23.212 -0500 Error 618 ZZZZ Database "FMTEMPFM48228bdd0010" is damaged and has been closed.

2008-05-19 14:17:23.228 -0500 Error 681 ZZZZ Closing database "XXXX" due to damaged temporary file...

2008-05-19 14:17:25.478 -0500 Information 168 ZZZZ Database "XXXX" closed.

2008-05-19 14:17:25.478 -0500 Warning 86 ZZZZ Database "FMTEMPFM48228bdd0010" or disk is full! Performing quick search for free space.

Does anybody have any idea about the issue and how come the file closed autometically?

Also where does those temporary files get stored?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

I am having a similar issue. It just started after the last round of windows updates. FMS 9 on W2K3 R2 has been humming along nicely. Oh, I also ran dcpromo on that member server and made it a domain controller. Would that have had any conceivable effect?

Clearly you have a damaged file. So damaged in fact that Server closedit to protect against further damage.

Close all files.Stop FileMaker Server. Then open the damaged file in FileMaker Pro--if it will open. If opened, then save a compacted copy (from the File Menu). Use that copy.

There may be something unuisual about your setup that is causing the damage. Please describe in more detail the server environment, including OS.

Steven

The file opened just fine in FM 9 Advanced. No "extra parts" in the two tables within; no "Recovered Field" definitions, etc. I did save the compacted copy to post on the server.

RE: not running it on a domain controller, that'd be ideal, but we're kinda short on servers and space - it's a 6-person business... so there shouldn't be a lot of load, either! Until just a couple months ago we were running FMS 8 on a domain controller serving all office files AND three printers, doing DNS and WINS and DHCP. Busy little server with nary a hiccup in years.

RE: OS, It's windows 2003 server R2. System specs are way above requirements for FMS. It's a Dell PowerEdge 1900. If you need the other specs I can dig them up.

"Until just a couple months ago we were running FMS 8 on a domain controller serving all office files AND three printers, doing DNS and WINS and DHCP. Busy little server with nary a hiccup in years."

As an exercise, balance the cost of a dedicated server (say, $3,000 every three years) to the cost of a couple of days of database downtime, plus the money to rebuild corrupted files and re-enter a week's work...

• 3 months later...
  • Newbies

In my case, it's pretty clear that this error is being caused by running out of space for the temporary files. If you have your disk split into a boot/programs partition and a data partition, this could be something to look for (although I assume that by now you've found other ways around your problem).

For the present -- can anyone provide information on how to change the directory for temporary database files? I'd assume that this is covered in support documents at filemaker.com, but that site appears to be non-responsive today.

Thanks in advance, Dan

• 2 years later...

Hello Ericwlacroix and Another Dan.

Did you ever find a solution to this issue? Im having the same exact one on a file that works since years and hasnt been changed and the Windows is also Win 2003.

Where are the temporary files that need more space in this case?

Did your problems repeat?

Thanks

Spongebob

FMS uses the normal Windows temp file location. in order to change it you need to tell Windows itself to use another location.

The original problem can be caused by either:

- a lack of disk space on the C drive (where temp files are usually kept). How much disk space is left there?

- a virus scanner actively scanning the temp folder and not allowing FMS to write to it. Some anti virus software block access to the files or folder they are scanning

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

We just had this error on our FileMaker Server.

The FM Server is version 11.0v3 (not Server Advanced), running on an XServe (2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon) with Mac OS X Server 10.6.4, with 10 GB of RAM. File Sharing is turned OFF, and so are either services.

However, I logged into the server via screen sharing and noticed that there is a dialog saying:

-------

Conditioning the Apple RAID Card Battery

This process may take up to 12 hours to complete and should not be interrupted.

Don't restart or shutdown the system until conditioning is finish. Doing so interrupts the process and can cause unintended battery operation. To check battery status, open RAID Utility.

-------

I looked online, but cannot figure out whether this would interfere with FileMaker Server's disk operations during backups, which is when the error occurred. Is anyone familiar with this?

FYI: We have about 450 GB of free space on the server.

This topic is 4581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.