Server Maintenance This Week. ×

distributing runtime solutions

tomp

This topic is 5797 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

What installer builders or other packages work for distributing runtime solutions to remote sites? I need the installer to replace the current versions of the runtime and other support files when doing an update.

"Before you replace, don't you need to import the data into the new version?"

I solve that problem as follows:

When the user initiates the update process, the database is automatically backed up. The new runtime files are initialized to import the data from the back up when first run. This strategy has served me well for 7+ years.

My problem is finding a reasonably priced installer builder for my hand full of MAC users.

"I use MacInstallerBuilder from sde sofware"

I downloaded and installed MacInstallerBuilder. It looks like it may fit the bill, but I can't get it to do the simplest install. I don't find the examples or the 'help' very enlightening (I suppose my users say the same thing about my software!). Hope I can get some pointers from somebody here:

I can get the list of files, assign a task for an alias, understand conditions, etc. (I think).

But I don't understand destination/domain. I want to put the files into the user's 'Home Folder'. Is 'current user' the right destination? Is 'Default' the correct domain?

Then in the 'General Info' /'Default Folder', I checked 'Always create a default installer folder and specified the receiving folder for the install. If I understood the 'help', the folder would be created if it didn't already exist. I left the other 2 boxes unchecked.

Not sure if or how the 'General Options' impact the build. Only 'suppress folder conditions' is checked (that was the 'default').

For the 'build settings', I checked installer & data together.

Then I do the build. Looks like it worked except that surprisingly 2 icons icons appear on the desktop. When I double click one of them, I get 'Application Launch Failure - The application '(null)' could not be launched because of a shared library error: '

The other icon has 'plugin' on it which I don't understand. Clicking the 'plugin' icon, I get 'This document is not compatible with this version of MacInstallerBuilder!'

Help!!

Yes, it takes a bit of playing around to get what you want. Steve will reply to questions thru his site.

Here is a mib file that puts a doc in the home folder and an alias on the desktop. Check out the General settings. Does it work for you?

Test.mibdoc.zip

"Does it work for you? "

Yes it does! Now I have to figure out what's different from my stumblings.

Thanks so much! I hope to be able to report success later tonight.

"Does it work for you? "

I've got my application installation ready to go!

What is the suggested distribution mechanism for the installer:

.dmg

.pkg

.B)

THANKS

My MacOS X experience is quite limited (unfortunately), but I just put the .bin file on a CD or post for download. There are probably better ways, but I'm not sure that MIB supports them.

I am also aware that MacOS comes with a utility to create "packages" and am vaguely aware of .dmg files. Hopefully, a Mac OS-knowledgeable person will chime in.

I went the route of the MIB installer, because I wanted to control where the files where installed, and needed a click-thru license agreement.

• 5 weeks later...

This topic is 5797 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.