DevCon 2008

Rich R

This topic is 5758 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Who's going? We should plan a get together and have a few drinks!

And I was thinking this morning. How many free copies can we get of FileMaker every year? Wouldn't it be a cool option if you could take a credit toward the price of registration instead of the free software?

I was looking for some tips for getting the most out of DevCon myself... I'm going for the first time this year.

Any other in-house developers for non-profits attending? Anyone from Minneapolis?

(I need to join TechNet, I know...that's probably where most of the DevCon discussion is going on.)

Any other in-house developers for non-profits attending?

Me? (most of the time)

I was looking for some tips for getting the most out of DevCon myself...

Pick and choose the subjects that you want to find out about the most. You will obviously not be able to attend all the sessions so pick and choose your battles.

Also although you will want to attend so many sessions, if you find lackluster ones all going on at the same time, it is beneficial just to talk and meet people as well. You will come across many other developers to talk to and swap ideas etc with.

Actually, that reminds me...about the binder and CD you get...does that have handouts and other info from all of the sessions on it? I was hoping that if there were two sessions going on at the same time that I was interested in, I would still be able to get the info from the ones I couldn't attend.

No, unless they changed the format. There was some talks about possibly taping the sessions but I dont think they pulled the trigger.

There usually is "post" DevCon files that you will have a link to. Many times the speakers will have updated files etc on there where you could download regardless of which session you attended.

I was looking for some tips for getting the most out of DevCon myself... I'm going for the first time this year.

Some years ago was I my turn to be in your situation, what surprised me was that there wasn't really any hard to wrap your head around issues up in the sessions. It's more a mongers get together than a genuine tech'ie thingy.

I'm not sure I permanently will disregard Devcons as such - but I'm certainly hesitating to recommend it to someone else, unless they are fit for excellent mingling - and social events, just are up their street, ROI is only made via connections eventually made!

--sd

It really depends on the presentors, the material, and timing.

For example, a lot of last year was showcasing the FM9 features and lots of PHP. There were a few gems sessions embedded within. A LOT of the sessions were instructed by FMI staff. To say the least, many developers left unsatisfied.

This year however, since there will be no new product to showcase, most of the sessions should be more centric to developers. They should showcase more techniques and thus interesting things.

So again it comes down to the material, timing, and the presentors.

The CD is a copy of FM9 Pro Advanced. The binder is the information about the sessions, the speakers' bios, general FMI information, and advertising.

Last year they gave out bookbag sponsored by Soliant as well in addition to a polo type shirt. Other years its been a T-shirt.

I'm going and I think I may have gotten the last room under the DevCon room block yesterday. But it's got 2 double beds, so if anyone is interested in splitting a room, PM me.

I'd love to meet some of you FMForumers face to face. If you see me say hi. I'll be the one wearing the face next to this post.

Yeah - i really enjoyed meeting some of you (heya mr vodka - I do know where you'll be!) last year.

This will be year 3 for me and my business partner - we feel we get an awful lot out of Devcon. There are two main events we attend every year for the week - DevCon and MacWorld and both are worth every penny to us.

We're independent developers so that's our perspective.

But the advice Mr Vodka gives is good advice. Of course I might add some of the best connections and friends are made in the lazy river after dinner !

Rich

Good to hear it Rich.

Professionally I feel it'll be worthwhile cause I'll learn things, blah blah blah, but I'm really going to meet PEOPLE. Other FMers. The nearest FMPUG group is an hour away (I keep meaning to make the drive...) and I think I'm the only fish in this small pond of a city.

It's my first DevCon and I'm excited, even if that makes me sound like a total FM dork. I'll have my badge soon enough.

It'll be my first one too (and probably my last for several years, given our small size and budget). I'm definitely hoping to learn some things, but I also want to get some perspective on where we fit in the FileMaker universe. I probably know about a dozen people in real life who use FileMaker at all, and only 2-3 who could be called FileMaker developers in any sense of the word. Being in the middle of 1,200 people whose businesses depend on FileMaker as much as it does ours (and 90 percent of whom probably know more than me) will be quite a trip.

I really want to talk to some people and hear their stories of what working in FileMaker is like for them, and see if their experiences are anything like ours. I'll probably message a few of you closer to the event to meet up at some point, and I'll be at the orientation Sunday evening, too.

If I were FMForums, I would have stickers (or something else that attaches to the badge) at their booth with the FMForums logo and a place for peoples' forum username, so we could recognize each other.

"fm dork"

Ha ha - I like that - We should all get shirts with that on them to identify ourselves from here :)

iMark - Finding your place in the "fm universe" as you put it is one of the greatest benefits of devcon in my opinion. Even my small company on the fringe here of the bay area sometimes feels pretty isolated and we're only 80 miles from FileMaker corporate headquarters.

Rest assured you will leave devcon with a lot higher comfort level that yes, you are not alone!

haha - what a dork I am - I guess I should have known these already existed! Ill order some this week. Everyone going to devcon on this forum should wear the shirt - maybe we can convince a nice vendor to buy everyone a drink who has a shirt on!

Nice to hear someone say what I am thinking about receiving a copy of FileMaker which is redundant for most of us. Why not let those who want to choose and those who do not receive a credit.

Or Give us a version that we can resale. I end up donating mine to charity.

harvey :) :

... I'm going for the first time this year.

Any other in-house developers for non-profits attending? Anyone from Minneapolis?

Hi Marc,

I am not an in-house developer for a non-profit, but the only Filemaker work I have ever done is pro-bono for a non-profit in Seattle.

This is going to be my first Devcon, and unless I can actually make money with Filemaker it will be the last one for a while. I tried to go last year, but wasn't allowed to take the time off from my "real" job. After talking to some people it might be better that this year is the year I can attend, more content for developers as someone already mentioned.

Unfortunately I registered late, so I am at the overflow hotel, hopefully that won't be too big of an issue. I am really looking forward to meeting some knowledgeable people that I might learn ways to solve some big problems I have had with my Filemaker solutions.

I'd like to organize something for Saturday night if anyone is interested. Maybe a Get together in the lounge/bar (if there is one - ive never been to this hotel - im assuming there's something convenient).

Edited by Guest

This is a general reply to all the DevCon "newbies". WELCOME!

I was a newbie (once upon a time). At DevCon, we get to wear ribbons designating our years of attendance and location (of the world). Those who are FBA and/or TechNet members also get a ribbon stating so. Ocean's West needs to make a ribbon for us FM Forums members. ;p

The advice you've been given so far and more: pick your sessions; check out the booth vendors (even if you don't "purchase", there's a wealth of knowledge to be gained); socializing isn't just about meet and greet, as you may learn a thing or two there, too; there are lots of gathering places; meals may have "topic tables" (as they did in the past), so eat and converse.

There is a "schedule" that you can use to enter your "location" during the conference, plus pick your sessions and make a buddy list: fmpug/devcon

Hey Beverly,

Nice to see you outside of TechNet lately. :

I actually wanted to catch up with you at DevCon this year. I wanted to pick your brain about some stuff...

Hi Guys,

First time I'll be going. I'm a pretty new developer (~8 months in) doing in-house work for a company in Los Angeles. Hoping to walk away with new insight about filemaker universe and also understand my/our place in the grand scheme of filemaking shenanigans.

Would be glad to grab a drink if anyones up :

Now that its less than a week away, if you guys and girls would like to meet up at some point PM me and I will dish out my cell.

:

Also a first timer. I'm pretty pumped out this event. I can't even imagine the vast amounts of knowledge I will gain. Plus, the hotel looks spectacular. From the sound of things, this looks to be a guaranteed good time all around.

So what is the appropriate attire for Devcon. Shorts because it is just too hot, or business casual (dockers and polo)? I am trying to figure out if I have to pay $15 to bring a suite case, or if I can just bring a carry on.

Thanks

Kevin

There is a Kohl's and Target close buy (walking distance) so you can always buy stuff if feel over / under dressed. There is also a UPS store you can ship stuff back (if its cheaper the extra baggage)

I choose camp / Hawaiian type shirts shorts / slacks sandals. The air conditioner is on over drive so you may find yourself chilled, sitting in sessions. So might consider an alternative set just incase.

hahah john that's cool!

I'll buy mine - it's a tax deduction!

and quite honestly - for what we're paying to attend - you should wear whatever you like!

We leave tomorrow to get a head start on the pool so anyone who comes early - come join us!

Edited by Guest

You guys still have my number?

Also for everyone that is a first time attendee, I would recommend bringing a wind breaker type of thin jacket. As Stephen said, it can get real cold in some of those session rooms. So if you bring this type of jacket then you can easily take it on/off without it being too cumbersome.

This topic is 5758 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.