Server Maintenance This Week. ×

XML Query PM Pro

Jim1

This topic is 5773 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Without the need for my customers to buy Server advanced with ODBC, I know that FileMaker Pro supports XML Queries. The problem is I cannot find an example of how to query FM Pro with a http request. This fourm,Google and FM Pro help did not help with finding an example.

Does anyone know how to get data from FileMaker as XML?

For example,

http://127.0.0.1:592/fmpro?db=mydata&getxmlRequest

Am I making sense?

Thanks in advance,

Jim.

Look for a fm file named "Query String Reference.fp7" on the Server install CD. You may be able to get that file as a download from the FMI website too but I'm not sure about that.

If you don't want to bother with the XML you can use any of the API's that have been developed around it and that may fit your skills. There are API's for .NET, Python, Ruby on Rails and PHP.

which means that you need a webserver installed. Bascially, I am writing a 3rd party application that can get information out of filemaker. I cannot use odbc as server advance is required, so I know that PRO server only needs xml.

Any more ideas? :

Thanks,

Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, once you get the XML from FMP, are you going to be able to transform it before pushing to SQL? the XML schema/grammar is not all that complex. FMPXMLRESULT is "somewhat" like an excel spreadsheet. you get a "header row" and all the rows after. The "header" is the METADATA/FIELDS, and here you also get field type.

In the RESULTSET, you get the ROW.

In the ROW, you get the COL/DATA. most fields will return 1 (one) DATA for the field contents. In repeating and related fields, you get one DATA for every repeat or "portal row".

Perhaps that's enough. Just make an export and see what you get.

Trying to get SQL to make a query TO fmp, will require the:

ODBC (Server Advanced)

XML (Server)

Take a look at the CWP guide for XML/XSLT, even if you are not using it for XSLT web publishing, you will find the correct syntax for making the queries.

This topic is 5773 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.