Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Automated XML Import

Eukanuba

This topic is 5907 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey Guys,

I'm working on this database in which i create the XML for FMP to enter data...

right now i have the XML data being saved from my vb.net application to the file system...

if i were to make a button in vb so that the xml would be automatically imported into FMP, How would that look?

Love Hearing from you guys,

Euka

Not 100% sure what you are trying to achieve, but if you want you can go right from VB (or VB.NET) into FileMaker via ODBC using ADO (or ADO.NET) you will need to install the ODBC drivers for FileMaker that came on the CD.

Just an alternative way to "push", it would also eliminate the need to write the files to disk since you could go right from VB into the DB.

wouldn't it be easier to automate the importation of XML to FMP via vb.net since i already have everything written out in xml at runtime?

and to clarify what i need done is..

i'm creating a vb.net stand-alone program (GUI) so that people can input data... then i programmed it to create exactly what i need for importation... (XML code)...

now i need to get that XML file to FMP automatically when i hit the done button on my program...

thanks,

Euka

Edited by Guest

Ok, makes a lot more sense now.

I guess there are two basic approaches that come to my mind, and I'm not an expert here, one would be to find a way to have FileMaker periodically (e.g. every five minutes) suck in the XML file and the other is to find a way to have your application trigger a FileMaker script to run. I don't think either of those is built in. (Or perhaps there is a way with FileMaker Pro Server Advanced's XML interface to push the data in)

Sorry I cannot help more, hopefully someone with a better sense on these issues can contribute.

This topic is 5907 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.