Server Maintenance This Week. ×

moving/copying fields from table to table

This topic is 5766 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've used FMP for years but in simple environments. I'm now in the learning curve of migrating from ver 5 to ver 9.0 I'm also new here. If there is a better place to post this question be sure to let me know.

I have a db converted from 5 to 9. There is one table with about 300 fields. I want to create several tables and divide and move existing populated fields into the new tables and and then delete from original table. Help please.

Copy the fields you want, make a new table, and paste.

Assuming you want to relate the new tables to the original, create a field in each table that you'll use to import whatever field you use as the unique ID from the original table. This is commonly known as the "foreign key" but for now use the same name as the original ID field (or copy/paste the original).

Then import the data using matching field names.

Once that's done, you may want to rename the foreign key fields to avoid confusion and then you can delete the fields you copied from the original table.

Once that's done, you may want to rename the foreign key fields to avoid confusion and then you can delete the fields you copied from the original table.

Thanks for the step by step. I was close. All I missed was the "import" (thought copy and paste would take the data with it)

Edited by Guest

I think I would be inclined to Import/create new table in one step; since the data will be moved as well.

And how would one do that? Sorry, I've read help, FAQ, etc but I'm just not up with all the terminology used in the docs yet. I don't even know what to search for in "help". :P

Perform your find in the original table (table1) for the records you want to create in the new table (table2). Perform File > Import and select File. Select this same file again.

From popups at the top, top left is where you select table1 as the Source. Top right popup is your target and (in this popup) go to the bottom and select 'new table'. This will create the table, calculations AND copy the data into the new table as well.

UpDATE: Oh, then on import, only import the fields you want in the new table, including the keys.

Edited by Guest
Added update

Thank you, I'll give it a try. I find that I need to start thinking less in Filemaker 5 mode and more in "mySQL" mode to understand FM9. Wouldn't you say? I appreciate the little tutorial. Thanks.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5766 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.