Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Upgrade to latest version - best practices

This topic is 5737 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can anyone refer me to some decent, easy to understand reference on best practices on how to upgrade your database.

For now I've been working and testing on my actual database, which is a big no-no, I know, but I have no idea how else to go about it.

I would like to find a system where I can test my database stand-alone and then "copy" the new database definition, modified and new layouts and scripts to the actual database, thus ensuring data integrity and avoiding double work.

Any help or guidance is most welcome. I have just switched from FMP 8.5 Standard to FMP 9 Advanced in case this matters.

Thanks in advance!

There is nothing to convert, the only difference between the two versions, is the features that were added in v9, such as Conditional Formatting.

As far as working on the original, STOP!

Make a copy now, and make your changes to it.

In addition, you should backup your work often.

Lee

You have three choices:

1. Develop on live file

- Not necessarily evil, but care must be taken when modifying schema, as you can potentially lock records.

2. Import into the updated file

- Depending on the number of changes this can be faster than copying changes to the old file, especially if you create scripts to automate the process.

3. Copy changes from updated to old file

- As long as you add things in this order you should have no problems: tables; table occurrences/relationships; fields; create blank layouts; scripts; paste into blank layouts. Make sure you name your table occurrences and layouts identically and everything should copy over smoothly.

Now that you have Advanced you can copy tables and fields rather than import them, and you'll also be able to copy script steps and scripts rather than import (which I believe is now part of non-advanced in 9) but otherwise there won't be any appreciable difference in how you approach database updates. Having the data viewer and script debugger will certainly be useful, though.

This is what I do, very briefly:

In my solution I create a series of scripts that import data from each table in the file I want to update or import from.

Then another series of scripts that goes to each table then Shows All Records. They can be independent or in a single script. I like doing it separately just so I can keep track.

Once this is done, create a folder call something like "Older Version." Make a copy of your solution and then put it in this new folder.

Now go back to the original version and then in each import script add Import steps and map to you copy in the 'Older Version" folder.

Then create a master script that performs all you import scripts as subscripts.

The first script step in this script should be perform the Show All Records script step in the copy file to ensure you are pulling in all the source records.

Now to update you will just run your master import script.

I do everything individually as it's just easier to manage.

As I add fields, I can just go back to that tables imports script and do whatever Import remapping I need.

As I add tables, I can just add a new corresponding import script then add it to the master script.

Using a master script it helpful as you can, in Advanced, disable a subscript and be able to run the rest, if the need arises.

This topic is 5737 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.