web jpg won't display in web viewer

think_db

This topic is 5720 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have several known good url's to a jpg image that won't show in the web viewer. I suspect that it is because they are in a subdomain. Can anyone confirm this offer suggestions.

I have confimed that the web viewer path is correct. There is no error msg. but no image either.

Sure, post the image URL or a sample file with the issue. Have you tried using the same path in an actual web browser? Also, have you pasted a pre-encoded url e.g. http://mydomain.com/my%20image.jpg - if so, get rid of the encoded characters and past normally: "http://mydomain.com/my image.jpg"

Here's the url:

I have the url in a text field which you can right click and "open url" just fine. I can copy and paste it into a container and the image will show fine. When using the web viewer it downloads the image to the browser "downloads" folder but it does not display. I can get images on my own hosted site to work fine in the viewer as well as regular web pages.

Attached is a two record db that illustrates the problem. The only difference is the base url path.

This url shows fine in web viewer:

http://www.thinkbible.org/zebay/LadybugYardsheet.jpg

This url does not show in web viewer:

So the only difference is that one path is a subdomain. (The exact same image is found at both paths.)

As said. a two record db showing this is attaced.

ViewIssue.fp7.zip

I don't think subdomains have anything to do with this. This image is in a subdomain too, yet it displays just fine:

I get the same problem with the link you have provided - and I get it in Safari too (Safari 3.1.2 on OS X 10.4.11). So it seems there is something at the server side that's not right, and Safari (or rather Apple WebKit, that both Safari and the web viewer use) is sensitive to it.

Ok.. let's step back...

Basic question...

Does the web viewer actually view the "web" or in all cases does it download the html (or file) to show from the local machine (with default browser I presume)?

In this case the images are being downloaded to my browser's download directory so the host is allowing downloads.

The web viewer does NOT use the default browser. It uses a tool provided by the OS for programmers to build their own instances of the OS built-in browser. That would be Safari, or rather WebKit, on OS X and some form of IE on Windows, I presume.

Whether a viewed image is cached or not is irrelevant to the present issue, IMHO. This specific image is not viewed at all, it is downloaded INSTEAD of being displayed. The browser does that when it doesn't recognize the file type, or when it cannot handle a recognized file type. I am not a regular Safari user, but it seems that Safari does this automatically, unlike Firefox for example, that asks.

In any case, I believe it's quite clear the problem is on the server side.

OK.. and good information.. I agree.

I would have imaged that a "web viewer" would in fact "show the web site" (or pic url) but when I found the downloaded images I thought perhaps different.

Since the images are being downloaded anyway (cached) I'll just upload all of them to my own host and reference them there.... (by the way, each time you go to the same record the pic is downloaded each time with a numbered extension (-1, -2, etc) . It took me a while to figure out what the hundreds of images were in my downloads folder and what was "generating" them)

I'll also speak with the host company but I don't expect to get much even though I'm paying for the services I'm using.

Another bit. If I remove the file name, leaving just the 40, it displays a 40.jpg that says "No Photo Available", though the path still shows as ending in just 40. This is all very well, and I don't understand it, but perhaps something about the 40 folder is stopping its images from displaying. I imagine any image put into that folder would not show?

Now that you mention it.. I do now remember having one or two entries in db where the images display. (This is a 3rd service that provides ecommerce products. The images are in their product catalog.)

I have hundreds of entries in my db and I only remember one or two showing. I'll have to go dig them out and look at the path. If any show up that would indicate that the server is setup OK.

But it is odd because the viewer doesn't display any error (not found). It just doesn't show the pic.

If I remove the file name, leaving just the 40, it displays a 40.jpg that says "No Photo Available", though the path still shows as ending in just 40. This is all very well, and I don't understand it, but perhaps something about the 40 folder is stopping its images from displaying. I imagine any image put into that folder would not show?

Best guess is that they have some sort of URL rewrite in place and that this is actually a php script (given that the no image found image is generated by the gd extension) looking for file x under product y. Whatever header's they're sending out are causing the image to be downloaded instead of viewed. Normally, you might think that this was just a custom 404 page, but the error is a dynamic image, not an html file }:(

Anywho, their fault and unfortunately, you can't do much about it.

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is 5720 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.