Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Separation Model: duplicate relationships?

This topic is 5718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I'm creating my first separation model solution with two files, myDB and myDBData.

My question: do I create the relationships in the base data myDBData file as well as the interface/business logic file myDB?

At first glance it would seem redundant to do so, but I'm creating several many-to-many relationships in this solution so I wonder if I shouldn't have the relationships in the data file too.

TIA for any help,

Pat

Relationships in the data file may be needed when a related field is needed in a field definition's calculation, or auto-enter by calculation, or for a Lookup. But not so much for portals, filters, navigation, etc., because those are more about presentation of the data rather than the data itself. Presentation requires a layout with an attachment to a table occurrence of the interface file anyway.

The general rule I think would be: Don't create a relationship in the data file unless you have to. You will generally know that when defining fields.

some other caveats...

Custom functions if used may need replication in both files.

Variables don't work across files. - I had fields using $variables to auto enter data on a field when the record is created but they didn't work when the script is initiated in the interface file. I had to resort to globals and pass the values thru a relationship.

Using "SELF" function in a calculation didn't work when evaluated thru the relationship in the data entry screen of the interface file. - I had to use the actual field instead of Self.

This topic is 5718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.