Cannot Open Remote Files

stanmcman

This topic is 4766 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Excellent find, Darren and Huit!

I can confirm that turning off SSL "fixed" the problem as a workaround.

The client can live with this for a short period while we wait for an update.

I have filed a bug at Filemaker and I encourage you all to do the same to get this prioritized.

I also posted a note on Technet linking here.

Cheers,

Andreas

YEEEEE HAAAAAAAA !

WE HAVE LIFTOFF!

I went to Program Files > Filemaker > FMP 7 and copied the server.pem file and pasted it into the FMP 9 folder, because the file did not exist in this file.

I powered up FMP 9, open remote, and there were my files!

[color:blue]O Happy Day !

Thank you to EVERYONE who dug deeeeeep to find this issue. It sounds like FMP needs to get the bug out. Seeing as how it was a "date" issue, it will no doubt be surfacing more and more.

Thanks again,

Stan

And I can confirm that using a previous install of FM solves it on the client machine.

I had copied my entire Applications folder from my other machine to this new machine before bringing it in for service. I installed FMP fresh from disk on the backup machine and encountered this issue. This morning I trashed the new FMP installed and simply moved the copied version to the Apps folder and it works.

Edited by Guest

Excellent find, Darren and Huit!

I can confirm that turning off SSL "fixed" the problem as a workaround.

The client can live with this for a short period while we wait for an update.

I have filed a bug at Filemaker and I encourage you all to do the same to get this prioritized.

I also posted a note on Technet linking here.

Cheers,

Andreas

He he he. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. :P

FYI- Here is the link for bug reporting. http://www.filemaker.com/company/problems.html

Regards-

Darrin

• Newbies

OK THIS IS NOW OUTDATED, BUT SOMEONE MIGHT FIND IT INTERESTING!!!

in answer to this, I use FMP 9 advanced with a FMP 7 server and access is fine, BUT I have recently upgraded some of the files with FMP advanced, and found them to become unmodifiable, its not the same problem as yours, though it seems to point to an incompatibility problem between FMP 7 server and FMP 9 advanced.

• 2 weeks later...

I say try it on one machine first. These patches are so small (~50kb), methinks they just regenerate the certs properly and don't touch the rest of your FM installation. Should be OK. I'm sure FM Inc. tested these patches. They better have...

Oh, and... I don't think there's a need to install these if you have a valid cert file that was generated during an install with the system clock set before Sept. 22nd, 2008.

If you copied a cert file instead of generating a new one by changing your system date back, I suggest you run the patch. It's generally a bad idea to have the same cert on multiple clients. Although, I don't think it's so bad with FM.

The workaround (changing the computer date < 22 September 2008 for the installation, then changing it back) works well and should allow installations to happen regardless.

• 2 months later...

I can only see five of the six files that are being hosted on our server. I can manually load the missing file but it does not appear on the list when I browse the server.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

• 9 months later...

I just had this issue in FMPA10 on Win7. I had two computers both on the same network, both Win7 one had no problem opening files on a remote host, and one that couldn't see any of the shared files. I copied the ssl file from the working computer to the other computer and the problem was fixed.

Big thanks to Rick Stringer for finding this thread!

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

We just had this problem last week. We had our FM expert run this down for us.

Evidently there's a "bug" in FM 9. You have to set the date on the computer back to before 2008, THEN install FM 9. Then set the computer back to the correct date.

Here's the write-up

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6995

Peace!

This topic is 4766 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.