Restrict interaction with Text fields, Container fields on a Web Viewer

djlane

This topic is 5690 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I’m planning to use TEXTRACTOR in a document management system to extract text from PDF documents, and make the contents searchable.

I want the users to be able to view the extracted text, but not to interact with it (ie copy to clipboard, export field contents etc.). To prevent them doing that I have to turn off access to the field in Browse mode - but then they don’t get the scrollbar…

I tried using a plain text field on a layout, and I have tried with the web viewer. Using this as the Web Viewer URL : "data:text/plain," & Fieldname I can view the text on the Web Viewer, but if I disallow interaction with the viewer, I cannot navigate through the pages.

So, is there a way to either :

1. Allow access to the scrollbar on a text field, without allowing the user to export field contents, or

2. Page through a text field displayed on a web viewer, without allowing interaction with the viewer (ie save a copy).

In relation to 2 above, I can do it with a PDF document using a script to set the URL, eg : file://localhost/C:/Filepath/Filename.pdf#page=14

… But I don’t know how to do that with a text field.

In case you are wondering why not just view the PDF in the web viewer, well the PDF is stored in a container field, and I can’t figure out how to display that on a web viewer. I need it on a web viewer for the users that will use IWP.

I tried "data:application/pdf," & Container Fieldname (got that from http://vm.uconn.edu/$eweb.mediamap) but it returns the error “file does not begin with '%PDF”. I googled that and found “Under IIS, in the file mime.types, located in /etc you will find a line like "application/pdf". Replace this line with this line "application/x-pdf".. Found that here http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=834208&page=2 : I tried that and the error goes away but the PDF is not displayed in the viewer.

So a third question – How to display the contents of a container field in a web viewer ?

Hi Comment,

A bit lame I agree, nevertheless the user wants to control what people can print / copy vs what they can view.

The sample you sent does indeed stop copying the text, but I can still print it or save it as a PDF document.

I googled... and found that by adding oncontextmenu='return false' the desired effect is achieved. The scrollbar works, but no interaction with the text is possible. Great, thanks Comment.

Well, I don't know. I cannot copy anything even without adding the 'oncontextmenu' condition. After adding it, I can still print the layout (if privileges allow). And I don't think there's anything you can do to prevent me from taking a screenshot.

Well, you could disable printing altogether in privileges, or (I think) selectively by using custom menus. But you cannot prevent users from taking screenshots and printing them outside your solution, unless you completely take over their computers. Perhaps your client needs to install a security viewing room, with guards and surveillance cameras…

Sorry, LaRetta - didn't see your post.

Edited by Guest

No prob, Michael. And you're right - nothing that I know could stop a screen shot. What you see is what you CAN GET. It reminds me of a data-entry job for company which asked us to type what we read but not see; not allow our minds to recognize, understand or remember anything we typed. DOH. :

Edited by Guest
Corrected typo

It is possible to disable print screen. Not sure if it is however worth the trouble.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/35968

Or you could simply re-define the keyboard and "hide" the print-screen button.

I can disable printing (including ctrl_p but not prtscrn), by using relogin when the user changes to a layout that forbids printing. Relogin to a secondary userid that has no printing privileges. Then relogin to the previous userid when exiting the layout.

Has no effect when using IWP though. With 100+ users, they will want most of them using IWP.

Client is a Law Firm, and they are very security conscious.

"I can disable printing (including ctrl_p but not prtscrn), by using relogin when the user changes to a layout that forbids printing. Relogin to a secondary userid that has no printing privileges. Then relogin to the previous userid when exiting the layout."

No need to re-login... set up custom menus and make one menu set for the main layouts that disables printing, another for the printing layouts that does.

"Client is a Law Firm, and they are very security conscious."

They may have to reconsider using IWP then.

This topic is 5690 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.