Server Maintenance This Week. ×

preventing the embedding of images

This topic is 5656 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello All,

I have recently created a database for 6 users. We are organizing several thousand images with it, and I need to keep file size low. The dataqbase and images are being housed permanently on a server, so linking the images is just fine for our needs. The embedded images are already getting large.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I'm not answering your problem here, but I am going to give you a few "heads up" points regarding image storage and secondary servers.

1. The file path to the image is stored in the fp7, however the file specification is different between Mac and PC. If an image is referenced by a Mac user then the PC user won't see the image - and vice versa.

2. You can't ever do any web publishing with the images as they are not stored in the appropriate directory, nor are they embedded.

3. If the image server changes it's name then you will lose all the references and the images won't display in the fp7.

If you are concerned about your file(s) getting too large consider embedding the images in a separate fp7 and use relationships to control the images.

Thanks IdealData.

I really appreciate your advice. In fact, we have 2 PC users in this database, and we have experienced the problem of not seeing the images. The Mac users can see most of the images input by the PC users, but the PC users can not see any of the images input by the Mac users. Do you have a solution to this issue?

We are using FM 6, which uses fp5 formatting.

The PC users are collecting the images on our server, the Mac users are accessing them for modification/edits. A relational connection using 2 databases may solve the size issue, but if I create a 2nd database for the Mac users, are you saying that the Mac users will not see the thumbnails from the PC database if I connect the two databases?

Thanks again,

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend you look into Supercontainer:

http://www.360works.com/supercontainer/

Seeing this solution demonstrated at Devcon this summer was one of the most useful parts of my week, and I have just begun to get acquainted with using the program myelf. There are forum categories devoted to Supercontainer here on FMForums.

Albert

This topic is 5656 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.