Server Maintenance This Week. ×

BaseElements

mr_vodka

This topic is 5674 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have not used BaseElements before. What are the pros and cons of it verses Inspector?

Also, on their website it states the following regarding the site license:

It allows you to use this copy of BaseElements either in a FileMaker server amongst multiple developers, or as single user versions on an individual's machine, or both at the same time

Does this mean that Base Elements is served as well? Can multiple developers see it at the same time? I am not quite sure I understand how this would work since you would have to pull the DDR. Can anybody comment on this?

I used version 1 of Inspector quite a bit. It has a nice ability to save search criteria; the downside is that it forces you to save your search criteria. I much prefer BaseElements' ad hoc searching. BE has a more "FileMaker-native" feel to it: you can search and sort in the usual ways -- whereas Inspector is built around filtered portals that I personally find cumbersome. I imagine Version 2 mitigates this somewhat by auto-resize, but I haven't used it so can't say for sure.

Both Inspector and BE can be hosted, however even though we have a BE site license it seems to make more sense to keep a separate copy for each client's solution, otherwise for one thing we'd always have to remember to add the solution name to any searches.

I don't know what you mean about "pull the DDR." You can import multiple DDRs into both Inspector and BE, and compare them. You wouldn't run into record-locking issues unless you're actually editing the records (e.g. to write a note, which no one will ever see, so we hardly ever do it).

Thanks for the feedback Tom. I have never used s hosted copy of Inspector or Base Elements, so I guess my confusion was with that in regards to the DDR issue.

Based on Comment's comment, I had to look for myself...

I think when the graphic artist attempted to provide a mirrored illusion to the photo - they did not notice that turning it upside down and splicing it back together at that intersection surely does give the illusion she has forgotten to button her blouse.

I am well aware of how it was produced, but I'm not going to let mere facts ruin a good story.

I had to look for myself...

Of course you did. They haven't seen traffic like this since ages. Too bad I didn't come to some arrangement with them beforehand...

This topic is 5674 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.