Sending emails with a pdf of a record usings server 9

UpNorth

This topic is 5600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just moved over my database from hosting on a client to fm server 9. I'm just learning about some of the new possibilities, which brings up my question. How or can I have filemaker server automatically send out emails with a pdf attached of a record.... and can I email filemaker and have it create a new record with the contents of the email?

Thanks you very much for your time!

Currently, FMS does not give the ability to email directly. You will need a email plugin. We use 360 Works. Furthermore, if you are trying to automate the process of creating the PDF using FMS, it will not work as well.

• 1 month later...

Help.... I have the plug-in in my external functions but how do I make it send an email??? This is the first time I've used a plugin.

Here is the plugin

SendEmailWithAuthentication( from ; to ; subject ; htmlBody ; attachmentPath ; smtpHost ; username ; password )

I have to enter it as a field, so how does it or can it send an email??

Thanks! :

Edited by Guest

Is this 360 Works?

Most plugins use the Set Field script step and set a global field, gResults, typically.

Like this:

Set Field(gResults; SendEmailWithAuthentication( from ; to ; subject ; htmlBody ; attachmentPath ; smtpHost ; username ; password )

where from = field that contains your "from" email address

to = field that contains the "to" email address

etc.

attachmentPath = usually I Set a Variable to the attachment path and use the $variable here

smtpHost = usually I have this set to a global field in the open script where I "publish" all my prefs to globals.

username = same as above.

password = same as above.

Then, gResults will typically = 0 if the email is sent without error.

As others have mentioned, you can send e-mail in IWP using plug-ins for versions of FM Server prior to 10, and there is now native support for this in FM Server 10. Regardless, you can't generate PDF files in IWP. If you can live without the PDF then just install your server-compatible plug-in the server, and write & test your code locally with the same plug-in installed on your computer. Now it should work in IWP.

This topic is 5600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.