Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker 10: New Features

This topic is 5590 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can anyone tell me if the new version of Pro Advanced allows exporting of PDFs and Excel files in Runtime solutions?

No I doubt that we will see this anytime soon. Licensing agreement with Adobe and all...

Take my pick from what? You spoke of "new avenue's and methodologies previously unavailable" - I took it to mean "things that can be done now, that couldn't be done before". That's exactly what I'm looking for - and so far all I see is that I can finally make a calculator that works with numeric pad keys. Hooray for script triggers.

I think the best part of script triggers will be that you can make more user driven interface changes based on such things as keystrokes or mode changes. It's always hard to see all the uses for these features... only time will tell. I'm also interested to see all the uses of indirection.

While the UI could certainly use some improvements, I can hardly imagine it has ever been a deal breaker. OTOH, things like not being able to connect to web services and the lack of full Unicode support (to name just two) have definitely blocked some "new avenues" to me.

So, is Advanced just FM 9 Advanced plus FM 10 Pro features, or am I missing something?

As far as FM 10 goes, I think people complaining about the lack of script triggers for years may have inadvertently said things like "I'd upgrade just for script triggers..." and FM is putting them to the test with this release. :P

The dynamic set-field is another long-standing complaint that is now addressed, and Code() and Char() allow for much easier creating custom functions for CRC computation, Rot13, or whatever is needed.

I can see the case for script triggering if you're doing RAD. For straightforward DB work, I'm afraid you are right - it's going to lure a lot of inexperienced developers into exposing their data to the dangers of incomplete transactions.

Code() and Char() allow for much easier creating custom functions for CRC computation

Somewhat easier, yes, but... the last time I tried this, I had a nicely laid out algorithm from a good source. It started with "Pick two large prime numbers" - and that's where it ended, because Filemaker couldn't handle numbers that large.

So, is Advanced just FM 9 Advanced plus FM 10 Pro features, or am I missing something?

I'm afraid I didn't get that.

I can see the case for script triggering if you're doing RAD. For straightforward DB work, I'm afraid you are right - it's going to lure a lot of inexperienced developers into exposing their data to the dangers of incomplete transactions.

I'm right? Did I say something about incomplete transactions?

Somewhat easier, yes, but... the last time I tried this, I had a nicely laid out algorithm from a good source. It started with "Pick two large prime numbers" - and that's where it ended, because Filemaker couldn't handle numbers that large.

You must be referring to some public-key encryption algorithm (due to large primes), CRC is just for error checking. Rot-13 is "silly" encryption, like for the answer to a riddle, stare at it and you can figure out what it really says.

I'm afraid I didn't get that.

What I meant was it appears the set of new things in advanced is the exact same things that are new in Pro, ie, there are no new features for Advanced. Or am I overlooking something (I only have Advanced, thus the question).

I am sorry if I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying FMI is testing if people can handle the script triggers they clamored for.

You must be referring to some public-key encryption algorithm

Yes, I think so. I have very little use for CRC (and certainly none for Rot-13). My concern is more with government-mandated verification/encryption schemes, and these invariably demand the use of true cryptographic functions.

I am sorry if I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying FMI is testing if people can handle the script triggers they clamored for.

Oh, I see, I meant, FM was testing if they would *buy* it just for that.

Yes, I think so. I have very little use for CRC (and certainly none for Rot-13). My concern is more with government-mandated verification/encryption schemes, and these invariably demand the use of true cryptographic functions.

Well, I've seen people ask on the forums for MD5, which is now do-able, imo. I dunno why they wanted it.

I think 10 looks good. Am seeing a lot of cool things that could be done with those script triggers. (Plus for the project I just finished after a year and a half, those triggers would have saved me months of work on the user interface alone)

The only thing I am really disappointed by...the Windows version is still stuck inside of one application window. :gang: That makes it a serious pain to use multiple windows...especially since most windows users have an obsession with the "Maximize Window" button.

Other than that...way excited.

Advanced is actually slightly less cooler then pro now actually because tool tips are editable in Pro 10.

I think the sub-summary parts in browse mode is going to be a successful field as well. I guess all and all I am pretty eager to please... plus I have a site license so I love the upgrades all the time.

I wonder what the best way to judge the success of this new release is? I always think if the new features start cropping up all over the place then we've been provided a useful tool.

I do think the script triggers are going to cause a lot more headaches from people over using them or not understanding exactly how they work though.

DJ, what if they REMOVED an icon you're relying on ?

I was already against displaying the status area before. Now it HAS to be hidden.

But if you're building your own mono-user little DVD library (I doubt I would choose FileMaker to do so), then the new toolbar is not dangerous... only ugly :

DJ, what if they REMOVED an icon you're relying on ?

Then you have a poorly designed interface.

Users expect to be able to interface with an app in multiple ways (drop down menu/toolbar/shortcut key) when performing basic functions.

I wouldn't put the control for a basic function solely on a tool bar.

I wouldn't either, but before there was no way the status area could disable a feature, that's what I meant. And one could think 'now that I have this toolbar, let's rely on it for my UI'

Edited by Guest

I do think the script triggers are going to cause a lot more headaches from people over using them or not understanding exactly how they work though.

Ditto.

It's been interesting, watching the folks in our own shop come up with new ways to use script triggers - things I never would have thought of, which is great. I think out of the collective talent pool we're going to see some great uses that none of us individually can currently envision.

But, we're also going to see LOTS of misapplications, and folks getting themselves into heaps of trouble with this.

Is there a forum thread just for Script Triggers yet? Because we'll need one.

This topic is 5590 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.