Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Print range scripting for PDF on multi page layouts??

wizkid

This topic is 5593 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi All:

I would like to replicate the print range functionality of MS Word in FM Pro 8.5. FM print ranges are limited to successive pages only (i.e. print page 1-5). It does not allow entering a print range 1-5, 7-9, 10-50 etc. with some pages skipped in the same batch (as in MS Word). I can write a script to print pages 1-5, then 7-9, then 10-50 and have them come out on the printer just fine, but this doesn't work when my print output is PDF because it would generate 3 separate PDFs for each record. Merging the separate PDFs into one document can be done manually, but would take forever if there are a large number of records being printed from the database. Anyone have any ideas how to do this programatically? Print the range with skips for record A as one PDF, then do the same for record B, then C, etc.

Much thanks in advance.

• Newbies

Ideal Data:

Thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of this new feature in 9. It sounds powerful.

I hopped online after reading your post this morning to see if I could find more details on the feature. One of the questions that surfaced is that it sounds like "Append to PDF" requires you to specify the filename to append to. I was hoping to use a loop to print all of my records to PDF and have filemaker automatically select the filename. Can this work with the "Append to PDF" feature? Can it just append to the last PDF created within the same record?

Here is a script (in progress) I am looking at using:

Go to record first

Loop

If [include doc1 = yes]

Page Setup (restore without dialog) -- print1

Print (without dialog, single record)

If [include doc2 = yes]

Page Setup (restore without dialog) -- print2

If [include doc3 = yes]

Page Setup (restore without dialog)-- print3

Go to Next Record, exit after last

End Loop

Thanks.

I am not sure 'Append to PDF' will work for what you describe. Append to PDF' is an option for the 'Save Records As PDF' script step. I don't think your print setup will affect it - I believe it will append either all records in the found set or the current record only (or a blank record).

Filemaker is not a word processor, and it doesn't keep track of pages. Records are rendered to pages on-the-fly when you print/preview/save to PDF. It's not quite clear what you're trying to do here - perhaps you just need to find the appropriate records beforehand, instead of going through this elaborate page-omitting song and dance.

This topic is 5593 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.