Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Row Highlight Selection Example File

This topic is 5330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The attached file is an example of how you can do the following:

1) The active record is automatically highlighted when you access a record

2) Ctrl + click on a record to highlight more than one record at a time

3) Shift + click to highlight all records between the currently active record and the one you click on

4) Click the "View Highlighted" button to view only the highlighted records in a new window

5) now open a new window and do all of the above again - each window has it's own set of highlighted records!

All documentation is in the file. Requires FileMaker 10.

keywords: highlight current record, hilite row, hilite record, select row, select records

RowHighlightSelection.zip

You need to add a trap in the file's startup script to prevent it from being opened in versions earlier than FMP 10. I just spent a few minutes looking at it, wondering why nothing was happening. I use FMP 9.0v3.

You need to add a trap in the file's startup script to prevent it from being opened in versions earlier than FMP 10.

Thanks for telling me about this - I hadn't thought of it. I just updated the attachment to include this.

I got caught on this a couple of years ago.

I'd done some sub-contracting work for a new client (legal firm). He phoned me about 9:00 pm telling me that nothing that I'd done that day would work... it took about 30 minutes to work out that he was using FMP 7 and the database was written with variables that require FMP 8.5.

As a consequence, all of my files now have a version check in the startup script.

I had meant to cite this reference: http://www.ulearnit.com.au/blog/?p=55

That is where I first saw how to highlight the current record. When I first posted, I couldn't find that link.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. Here is what I know is not compatible with FMP9:

ViewHighlighted Script:

- Set Field By Name function

- GetFieldName function

RowHighlight

- GetFieldName function

Script Triggers

The functions can easily be replaced with FMP9 compatible functions - I believe you would just have pass the fully qualified field name to the scripts, and hard-code the set field in the ViewHighlighted script. This would mean that you would need a new ViewHighlighted script for every table.

Here are some links to free plug-ins that could possibly replace the script trigger from FMP10:

http://www.myfmbutler.com/index.lasso?p=416

http://www.softs4humans.com/FMPro_Plugins.html

• 5 months later...

I've been at it again. I have updated this feature to include check box selection. I think they are more like two separate features, but I found a few issues I had to deal with to get them to work together nicely, so I included them in the same file. I also made some improvements which are listed in the file.

I was also trying to get this to work with FileMaker 9, but was not able to. I just don't think it's possible. Instead, I made a check box selection file which is compatible with FileMaker 9.

RowHighlightSelectionV3_FM9.zip

RowHighlightSelectionV3_FM10.zip

comment,

I finally got a chance to check out your link. I stand corrected - You can highlight the current record prior to FM10!

Some formating functions I cannot see so I have a question - is it similar to Matt Petrowsky version published on ISO productions on FoleMaker Magazine?

I couldn't access his video, but it sounds like he used a similar method to highlight the active row. Although, he has two versions of this feature. One meant to work prior to FM10, the other uses script triggers so only works with 10. His version that works with FM prior to 10 is similar to the method comment linked to.

My method of highlighting the current record is not new or unique. My link to the ulearnit.com site in a previous post shows how I implemented it.

What is unique about my example is that you can Ctrl+click and Shift+click to highlight more than one record, and each window has it's own set of highlighted records.

This topic is 5330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.