ODBC connecting to SQL 92

This topic is 5007 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have filemaker server 9.0v3 advanced, ODBC sharing is turned on. We want to connect to our V2 database to get parts & other information into filemaker. I installed on the ODBC driver on the server:

DataDirect 4.10 32 Bit, Progress SQL 92 v.9.1E

At first I was getting a network daemon error. One time I tried to add a table from that data source, it prompted for user name & password, then got a message data soucrce not supported. Now, when I try to access the external data source filemaker unexpectedly quits. This happens from different workstations, all running 9.0v3

Does the ODBC driver need to be installed on all client machines or just the server. From the windows 2003 server I tested the ODBC connectivity and it worked.

Maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you,

Caroline

I dont think Progress SQL is supported. These are the only ones supported for FMS9 using ESS.

* MS SQL Server 2000

* MS SQL Server 2005

* Oracle 9i

* Oracle 10g

* MySQL 5.0 Community Edition (free)

You can always use an ODBC connection to perform an import or Execute SQL statement though.

• 1 month later...

I am finally getting back to working on this odbc connection. I'm surprised that it can't connect to the progress data direct driver, it's the same driver Fedex uses, UPS etc...

What we wanted to do is incorporate the same customers that we use with our sql database for accounting with our filemaker database. So our client list popup would access the other client list through an ODBC connection. We wanted live data, thats why we have Filemaker server advanced. Not sure what to do now. any ideas?

You can always import then via ODBC into a FM table. You could do this every 30 minutes or each time that the list is accessed.

You can always import then via ODBC into a FM table. You could do this every 30 minutes or each time that the list is accessed.

John,

Thanks for your reply, but if it's importing every 30 minutes won't that slow the database down. And could I import just changes, or would it be a delete & import. We would like the customers and parts to be available from the ODBC source. Are you thinking a script that just runs every so many minutes? Just not sure the best method. your ideas?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help,

Caroline

You can import only those records that have been modified if you have a modification timestamp in your external source tables. Also you dont have to import ( update/add to ) every few minutes if you dont want to. It just depends on how current you want the data.

• 1 year later...

This topic is 5007 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.