Inventory check out list class listing

sicSRT8

This topic is 5296 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was looking for ideas on how to achieve this. I want to create a Inventory check out system using one table.

So I would scan in the table about 20 items which have a serial number unique to the type of item it is. The scanning part is finished however the order of the items would always differ and never be in the same order.

Based on what was scanned in (or checked out) I want to have fields sort these items based off the types of items and list them automatically under there type list.

So the final product after all items have been scanned fall under their respective type of item.

The serial numbers are based off a julian date and 3 alpha character sequence in the front of the serial number to specify the type.

For Example : CAF112009 MIB112009 CAA112009

No serial number is repeated.

Anyone have any ideas how to create this or someone already have an existing one to use for an example?

Im not sure if i was going in the right direction but the part i get stumbled on is the listing and how it would know to list the items in the other fields since the order of scanning is never the same sequence.

I do not clearly understand your idea.

If as important part of the serial is date, you need at least 20 combinations per day if 20 products ar checked out.

CAF112009, MIB112009, CAA112009

That mean that only 1 product with the same letter prefix can be checked out per day - second will cause duplicate.

Instead of Date, Timestamp is much precise.

To find product group use Left function.

The serial numbers don't mean anything outside of using the first 3 letters as the classification as type...

I want an area to scan multiple items maybe a list box or separate fields for each scanned item. My question is how do I get the items from the list to populate in the type fields?

Scanned items-

wood1234

paper1233

fire1234

rocks1234

paper2345

Then List Under each type in the order they were scanned.

Wood

wood1234

Fire

fire1234

Paper

paper1234

paper2345

Rocks

rock1234

Edited by Guest

I'm unsure of the purpose of this serial number. Ideally, you should be entering in the ProductID or SKU and the Product table would hold the Type. But with what you currently have, Type and Date should remain separate fields. Why put information together in a field only to require splitting it out again later?

If you must use this process with the combined serial, you can split them again, as Peter indicated, use Left ( serial ; 3 ) to grab the Type. Then create a columnar list report with leading part based upon Type.

I highly caution against putting the scanned items into multi-line list or using several fields because you will always be attempting to break the items back out - just as you now are trying to pull Type and date apart to use them. Each scanned item should be a record in a lineitems table and each small data bit should be in a separate field. If you put that serial into multi-line (list box) then ask to pull out the TYPE, you will have major mess. And the same holds if you put that serial into several fields. :smile2:

Im not concerned with the serial number and date.....

I am trying to split up for reporting purposes because the items will have to be checked back in later in the day and the qty of that item will vary. I will take the final report and compare with another report only available for the managers. This is being used to monitor flow of items to insure nothing goes missing.

Or another way to put it... How can I scan stuff in and it know which class to list the scan under.

The scanning is done with a remote scanner and will see last item scanned but will not get to see the monitor where it shows up. I just want the scans to be organized in the report as opposed to a random list of items that you have to cross match at the end of the day with the returning items.

How can I scan stuff in and it know which class to list the scan under.

Well now you've lost me then ... you indicate that the type is the first three characters in the serial number so YOU may not know but the file knows, right? We've explained how to create a calculation (text) to pull Type out and it would appear as part of every scanned record. And a grouped report based upon this new Type field will give you the report you request.

It might be best if you attach a small sample file if we're still missing your point. :wink2:

Again... if you have put the scanned items into one field (or multiple fields), you might be in trouble. Upon re-read, it appears you are attempting to place these scanned items into fields instead of making records.

Edited by Guest

I just don't know how to scan in a large number of items where the scans are sorted into classes on their own.

It isn't easy to jump into someone else's mind and see what they see. We only have your words to go by. I didn't know that you had 'solved' pulling the type out.

You ARE adding records, right? As you can see, both Peter and I still don't have answers to our questions which would help complete the picture of what you have so we are working in the semi-dark here. If the scan is a record and all you want is a sort, use List or Table view and sort them once (new feature in vs. 10) - as Peter already told you. Then each record added will pop into position within your sort. But be careful ... you will not end up on the same record you started with (which shouldn't matter if all you are doing is adding records). :smile2:

If we are missing the boat, you need to give us more information by answering some of our critical questions. If you read the suggestion to sort, did you try it? If it wasn't what you wanted, why not? Do you have a record for each scan?

Edited by Guest
Changed sentence

This topic is 5296 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.