Server Maintenance This Week. ×

mounting smb network during save as script.

This topic is 5236 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

The file I am using is stored on our work server. It is accessed by those using Macs and PCs. For PCs the script works fine without any problems saving to the server, but I cannot get it to save to the server using a Mac.

The FileMaker Script I used for PCs is:

Set Variable [$date; Valule:Let (today = Get (CurrentDate); Year (today) & "_" & Month (today) & "_" & Day (today))]

Set Variable [$time; Valule:Let (time = Get (CurrentTime); Hour (time) & "_" & Minute (time) )]

Set Variable [$filename; Valule:Get ( FileName ) & "-" & $date & "-" & $time & "-" & Get ( AccountName ) & ".fp7"]

Set Variable [$outputpath; "filewin://ctn2k3goldman/shared/Fetal Database/Fetal Database Backups/" & $filename]

Save a Copy as ["$outpath";copy]

I was suggested to us an AppleScript to tell the OS to mount the server with a specific account name and password. Unfortunately the person who suggested doing it this way and I do not know how to do AppleScript.

You should not be using FM this way. Filemaker is either shared peer-to-peer or hosted using FM Server. It is not multi-launched from a shared volume.

Furthermore, copying a file that is in use this way is exposing yourself to file corruption.

You need to read up on how to setup a multi-user FM system.

What you need is FileMaker Server and let it take care of the backups for you.

But to answer your question in general: it doesn't work for the mac users because the path you specify is valid for Windows users only (filewin:/...)

You need to construct the correct path for the Macs and then in the script detect if the user is using Windows or OSX and branch accordingly.

To get the path correct for the Macs: the easiest way of doing is from a Mac because it takes all the guesswork out of it.

This topic is 5236 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.