Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Controlling access to Modify Table View

mporter

This topic is 5355 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In my Runtime solution, I would like to display a layout in table view and let the user have access to the Modify button so they can customize the fields that appear on a list.

However the Modify Table View window allows one to add any field from any table in the database. This is a bit too much power and can confuse users.

Is there any way that I can keep access to the Modify Table View but limit the fields that it can access?

I didn't think you could get into layout mode in a RUNTIME.

You don't have to be in Layout mode. In FMP 10, in Browse mode, the Status toolbar has the Modify button available that lets you customize a table view list.

One can always hide and lock the Status toolbar so users can't get to this button, but I want to allow access. I just want a way to restrict the fields that can be added.

The modify table feature is pretty useless IMHO much like the custom toolbar.

Yes you can control access to certain fields by using account and privileges, but what if I want to allow access to that field but in general for that user, but I dont want them to use that as part of the table view?

Once again it goes back to FMI not creating a way for the developer to control what items are available.

The modify table feature is pretty useless IMHO much like the custom toolbar.

Yes you can control access to certain fields by using account and privileges, but what if I want to allow access to that field but in general for that user, but I dont want them to use that as part of the table view?

Once again it goes back to FMI not creating a way for the developer to control what items are available.

Too bad. It would be a great feature to allow Runtime users to show, hide, and add fields. But, like you say, it just needs to be a bit more controllable.

An easy way for the FM folks to add the ability to restrict fields would be to have the option of not allowing Modify to add any fields that are not already in the layout. That would work for my needs. It's basically an OK interface.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5355 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.