Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Spaces in folder names

This topic is 4743 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My testing indicates that FTPeek doesn't handle spaces in folder names - I can e.g. not get it to list the files in a folder where the name contains spaces. Is this a known limitation? Is there any way to escape spaces etc? What other characters are supported? I tested "ö" [ö, or Code (246) in FileMaker], and that didn't work either.

FileZilla doesn't handle ö properly either, so I'll forgive you for that. But unlike developers, actual users do tend to put just about anything in file/folder names.

Edited by Guest

I am not able to reproduce this issue with the space in the name. I see the ö becoming a ?, but I am not having any trouble uploading or downloading files with spaces in the name. Could you post or email me ([email protected]) your log ? I have a feeling a parameter may be being passed improperly.

Log locations can be found at:

http://wo.360works.com/cgi-bin/support/productsupport.cgi/Plugin_log_files

Edited by Guest

Can you try uploading that file using our demo file which is included with the download? I think the ö will still have the same issue (we're working on a fix right now), but the spaces in the filename should work.

Also, make sure that you are using version 1.51 of the plugin. I remember having this issue with spaces in the filename in an older version of the plugin, but it was fixed quite a while ago. If you have an older version, the update may fix this issue for you.

I've had these issues using the 360Works Sample Client with the 1.51 version of the plugin.

What happens is that the plugin is unable to list the subdirectories/files in directories the names of which contain spaces. Files with spaces in the names are not an issue.

Somewhat surprisingly, this was the case even when I created the directory with a space, and the subfolders, via the plugin.

While testing, at one point I got an error message saying that the plugin couldn't find the directory I double-clicked on in the list.

Log file is attached. I'm not sure the log is enough information - it logs the attempts to list files in a directory but obviously doesn't indicate that there are really files and folders which aren't displayed...

Let me know if you want me to give you access to the ftp directory back channel.

Glad that you're working on the ö!

Note to webmaster: .log should be a permitted file type for uploading files - I had to rename it!

360Works_FTPeek_FMAdvanced.txt

Hi David,

Thanks for this - works great with spaces in folder names now!

Any hope for the ö and other characters?

I noticed that I can create a directory with an ö in it through FTPeek, but the directory name still contains the double question mark characters. At the very least, we should get an error if we try to create a folder where the name contains unsupported characters.

Edited by Guest

This is an issue with the FTP system for handling data, and is different on many servers. Some servers can handle the characters while others are not able to.

If it is important for you to have these characters we can customize the plugin for you to make sure that this feature works on your particular server. If you are interested in an estimate for this work, please send an email to [email protected] and one of our developers will be in touch with you.

• 5 months later...
  • Newbies

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I'm also having problems with spaces in folder names (not file names).

I've updated to the latest version of Mac OS X Java, and have the latest FTPeek 1.532, but get an error when attempting to do an FTPeek_GetFileList using a path that contains a space.

Looking at the log, I see the following:

SEVERE: PluginFunction PluginFunction{name='FTPeek_GetFileList', functionID=-29082, minArgs=0, maxArgs=1} got an error with converted args [/qfiles/downloads/106999/[email protected]/Technical Specifications]

com.enterprisedt.net.ftp.FTPException: 553 /qfiles/downloads/106999/[email protected]/Technical: No such file or directory.

FWIW, the FM script issuing the FTPeek_GetFileList command worked with the older FTPeek plugin. If not for the fact I blithely updated to the latest Java, which forced an update to the latest FTPeek (1.532, Mac OS X), I wouldn't be seeing this issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

CJ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

1.55 includes the fixes of 1.533, including the spaces in folder names fix. I've tested this and can confirm that it is working correctly. Check and make sure that you have successfully installed the latest version of the plugin, and that you do not have an older version installed, or that you do not have two versions installed, in your regular directory and your auto-update directory. You can see which version you are using in the filemaker-> preferences -> plugins tab.

This topic is 4743 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.