Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Vista runtime problem

tomp

This topic is 5262 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A user is getting an error on a runtime (10advanced) just installed (first attempt to run it) on Vista:

"Side by side configuration is incorrect. See the application event log"

Can someone help me understand what might be causing that? I'm not getting that message on my machines - either XP or Vista.

"A user is getting an error on a runtime (10advanced) just installed (first attempt to run it) on Vista:

"Side by side configuration is incorrect. See the application event log"

Can someone help me understand what might be causing that? I'm not getting that message on my machines - either XP or Vista."

I was able to talk through the event log with the user. Here's what she gave me:

Microsoft.VC80.MFC.processorArchitecture = "x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762" could not be found.

please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

login name application source sidebyside 4/21 event id 33 task category none level error keywords classic user na computer sandbay1

I verified the installer that all four 'Microsoft.VC80.MFC' runtime files are in the installer. Did not yet run sxstrace. Probably would be hard to translate over the phone.

I have a 'trial' version of the same runtime. Had her install that as well. Same problem.

Help!

Seems to me that you developed the runtime on an x86 platform, and your client is trying to run in on an x64 machine. Although x86 programs run on 64 bit architecture usually, it's definitely a conflict between the 32 bit and 64 bit architecture. Maybe you developed on 64 bit machine, and she only has 32 bit Vista, and now the runtime can't find 32 bit files in your solution.

Edited by Guest

I bound the runtime on an x86 machine. I'll check to see if she has an x64. If she does have x64, what's the solution? Do I have to specify users have x86 machines for my software?

After doing some research Tomp, this is what I've found..

Quote:

"run an elevated command prompt (running with admin privileges, either right click > run as admin or taskmgr > File > Run...) and type "sfc /scannow"

if you get an error somewhere in here that windows cannot fix, it is not your fault.

It is because of an error with Microsofts C++ Redest 2005 and 2008 packages.

they sent out updates that dont always install okay

uninstall the C++ packages and run an update to try and reinstall them "

This seems to be a BIG problem when a developer builds on a x86 machine and deploys on an x64 machine, from what I have found on the net about it. I see that alot of different programs have this same problem

Edited by Guest

OK Tomp, I think I found a solution to your problem:

1) Have your Vista user download the c++ redistibutables from Micosoft

2) Create a folder called "ms" (without the quotes) on your root directory of your hard drive ex. c:ms

3. Copy the file you downloaded into that directory

4. Go to the command line with administrator privileges.

4a. If you don't know how to do it, go to All Programs > Accessories. Find Command Prompt. Hover over it. Right click and click on "Run as administrator".

5. Type the following and press enter: cd ms

6. Type the following and press enter: vcredist_x86.exe -x

7. It will ask you for a directory to save extracted files. Type in c:msextract and click OK.

8. Files will be extracted. Close the command prompt window.

9. Using file explorer go to c:msextract

10. Double click on vc_red.msi (if you have extensions hidden, execute the vc_red that has a type "Windows Installer Package").

11. Installer package will install.

12. Delete c:ms as you will no longer need it.

They will be installing the x86 version of c++ on their machine, which in turn should allow them to run your solution. I found this solution here.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=38282497425&topic=13112

It was originally for Avast, but should solve your problem too. Good luck!

Not sure how much of all that applies since I did confirm that she has an x86 machine, so it's x86 to x86 (being more Mac literate than Windows literate, I'm assuming that 'System Type 32 bit' means x86).

She turned off her antivirus software (CA - she said she set it to 'snooze') and reinstalled with the same result.

I still suspect that antivirus software is somehow the culprit, but dealing with a relatively naive user who is a couple hundred miles away it's hard to confirm what is really happening.

Since the event log identified something to do with Microsoft.V80....., I'm taking one more shot: I 'zipped' all the Extension, Microsoft, SASL2, and XTPTrans folder/files and am having her replace the existing folders in her installation. Hopefully, if it is an antivirus program messing with the installation, the files will sneak by in a zipped email attachment.

I understood that FM10 packaged all the necessary support, i.e., x86 c++, in it's runtimes, but it was FM11 that had the problem (recently corrected in an update as I understand). Would re-installing x86 c++ really make a difference?

Yeah, it's always hard to troubleshoot install problems with someone who's not too PC literate. Wow, finding out that she a x86 system, really throws it into a new light. I would still have her ty and install the x86 redistributable, but make sure she downloads the 2008 redistributable, and not the 2005 version, and let's see what happens.

The user downloaded the Visual c++ 2008 and installed. Did not resolve the problem. Same error message - side by side configuration problem. I've run out of ideas.

I don't know how these things work - since FM10 runtimes include Visual c++ (as I understand), where does the runtime go to get the copy of the code to use? Does it look first for it in the runtime? If so, and it's there, but somehow disabled, the downloaded copy wouldn't have any effect, would it?. Or would looking for it in the runtime be the last resort?

Hope that makes sense.

I'm totally stumped. You've tried installing 2005,& 2008 c++ red.- that didn't work. You have a different os, but both x86 platforms. Try this, have the user zip back up all the files, send them back to you, and you run the program, and tell me if it works for you now. Make sure they just don't send back the original zip file. It has to be the files they are trying to run. You have xp and they have Vista correct? Your profile says MAC OSX. What version of FM are you using?

After doing some more research Tomp, make sure that the end user has all the available service packs installed for their OS. I have found ost where that has solved the problem for some. After all the c++ redistributables, and updating-if it still doesn't work, next step is decompiling the code in VS2008. I still feel like we are missing needed info. The trace file won't tell you anything unles you are a Visual programmer. But from what I have seen, the steps we have taken has solved the isue for 99% of everyone with this problem. Are you 100% sure they are running a x86 version of their OS?

This topic is 5262 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.