Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Customizable Report

levonk

This topic is 5076 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have designed an application for a community center. I included the reports that they regularly need, but they are asking for more. Their request would be very easily done with an SQL SELECT command, but the application runs on FileMaker Server 10, and cannot be migrated to SQL at the time being.

Is there any way that I could put it the flexibility of the SQL SELECT command to create the reports that they need?

Yes I am familiar with FM's find, but that presumes that I know, or can predict, the required reports, and design a screen to get the criteria, and a layout to output the report. Since the user does not have full access privileges, all this has to be coded into the application, taking into consideration all possibilities. The database has more than fifteen tables from which reports could be requested, with each having at least five fields that could be the criteria. They could also require multiple fields from different tables.

With SQL this only requires a little learning of an english like language. Since that is not an option, what is the next best solution?

For one option, see the "Reports" section of the FileMaker Web Viewer Example file, download from this page:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/web_viewer.html

File download link:

http://fmdl.filemaker.com/MISC/fmp10/fp/web_viewer_example_wwe.zip

Edited by Guest

Again, not knowing specifics, I always build a dedicated Find screen for each table, and a list view that prints. Give them a way to sort a list view, too. That may be enough.

Complex reports usually rely upon a thorough understanding of the data model (not typical of users) and so designing a report is necessary.

I have designed an application for a community center. I included the reports that they regularly need, but they are asking for more. Their request would be very easily done with an SQL SELECT command, but the application runs on FileMaker Server 10, and cannot be migrated to SQL at the time being.

Is there any way that I could put it the flexibility of the SQL SELECT command to create the reports that they need?

Also take a look at FileMaker 11 and the very extensive table mode quick-report options.

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/whats-new.html

This topic is 5076 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.