Deletion log

This topic is 5071 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

the "problem" with the solution of Nightwing is that the modification log is stored inside the record, so by deleting the record, you also delete the log...

IMHO this is not something you really want, however it is a nice start to build your own logging system...

But if you want a "real" log you should indeed go for FMDataGuard... This is really secure, and has many nice features.

Yes, that would definitely solve it but I think it is a bit rich for the solution. It's for a small pub & grill POS which on a superb day turn over R15,000 ($2000). I was hoping there was a means of writing it myself

DataGuard is the best. But why delete at all? You can flag as deleted. What are you wanting to delete? Do the records also have children?

You can archive records to another table fairly easily as well, then verify the transfer completed and delete the main records after verified. However, depending upon the complexity and number of fields, it can require work to maintain, ie, adding new fields in your main solution means potentially adding those fields into your deletion table if they need to be preserved. And child (and grandchild?) records should be transferred as well. It takes a bit of work when changing a Status field to Void or Deleted works as well.

I'm also not understanding why you would want to add some plugin to track something that already exists in your solution. Simply flag it as deleted or canceled, maintaining the entire history of that set of records. That's how we maintain history. Reconciliation, if required, is accomplished by adding a new record versus deleting existing.

This topic is 5071 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.