Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 5001 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Any experiences/ideas on how to best handle timeout issues with FTPeek? How to avoid timeouts to the extent possible, and how to handle the user experience in these cases.

Is there a specific error code that FTPeek returns on timeout?

David,

I abandoned FTPeek bcs it didn't handle downloads of large files (timed out). We switched to a NAS drive.

360works provided a "header" file to me that disabled the progress bars (and that helped a bit, but left the user thinking that the system froze). Although I do understand that timeouts are setup specific, they mentioned that they had a bug in the progress bar code and planned to fix it, but didn't mention a fix in their latest update.

-Barbara

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for sharing this experience. My case is a little bit different I believe; each file downloaded is very large (probably max. 5 MB, but mostly a lot smaller than that), but I can have many files (perhaps averaging 50, but I need it to work with several hundred).

A NAS is unfortunately not an option in my deployment scenario.

I'm already disabling the progress indicator.

I think avoiding timeouts is one thing, but my question also concerns what to do in the case that they DO occur. I've seen timeouts with "real" ftp clients too.

How do I best capture a timeout error when downloading a file, and how do I distinguish that

from another type of error? I haven't found a list of FTPeek error codes, but assume there is one?

You'll get "ERROR" and FTPeek_LastError will give you specifics.

We had some concerns about NAS, bcs we certainly didn't want users directly accessing the library of PDFs that we are managing. So we mount, Insert File to container and auto-open, and unmount the NAS drive using Send Event.

• 1 month later...

This topic is 5001 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.