Disable field access?

This topic is 5042 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to programmatically disable field access based on data entered in another field?

Also, is there somewhere to submit a wish list for new features in Filemaker. I'd love to see them add the ability to create a right-click menu.

That sounds like "record" and not "field" level access?

I'm trying to keep them from entering a field that will be calculated when the record is saved so that they don't put something in it that will get overwritten.

RLA can get to the field level, but I need more details from you to offer a more specific solution. I don't understand why a calc field would be editable. Please expand using the actual details.

Is there a way to programmatically disable field access based on data entered in another field?

No. But you can do one of these:

1. Disable access to the field and make it a button. Have a script enter the field if allowed.

2. Trigger a script on entering the field. Have the script exit the field if not allowed.

The downside of both is disrupting tab order.

EDIT:

I see now that this is posted in the security section, and I may have misunderstood what you mean by "access".

Edited by Guest

Michael,

I moved this to Security.

It's this statement that was confusing to me:

"I'm trying to keep them from entering a field that will be calculated when the record is saved so that they don't put something in it that will get overwritten."

B

Let me clarify what I'm trying to do.

My application requires the user to enter 3 of 4 data items and will calculate the 4th one for them. They have the option of selecting which data item they are NOT going to enter (could be any of the 4 items) and I would like to disable access to that field... after all, it's going to be calculated for them based on the data entered in the other 3 fields.

What I have initially done is to create a script that determines which data item they are going to calculate and advance to the next field if the field getting focus is that field. I put this in a script trigger for each of the four fields - used the OnFieldEntry (I think).

This works, but I'm just wondering if there is a better way.

This probably doesn't belong in the security section, but I really wasn't sure where to put it.

This topic is 5042 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.