setting up a static ip

This topic is 5030 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to make my database available for users from any location. The problem i am having is that i can only access the database from my ip address. I have a netgear router and i have optimum as my isp. The problem is that optimum uses a dynamic ip address i am told i need to set up a static ip address but they do not give out any dns servers. Does any one know how i can bypass the dynamic server and create a static ip? How do i get the proper DNS server i need? Or Is there a way to set up IWP with a dynamic IP? I know its not as reliable but for now it will do.

Please help.

What I would probably do is,

have a website ie.... www.myDB.: that redirects to my filemaker database.

install php on my system, write a little script to monitor my ip address and and automatically update the redirect file at www.myDB.: when it changes...

hope this helps...

Hi.

I just got done setting up mine. I'll tell you how I did it. Go to www.no-ip.com and register for a free account. Download the software and keep it running. When you set up the account it will give you a host name which will look something like myhost.no-ip.biz

Start up filemaker and go into the Sharing IWP settings. Go to advanced and click Specify. Change the port to 591. Now you can share your database by using the link http://myhost.no-ip.biz:591

No matter how many times your IP changes the no-ip server will direct the person to the correct ip address on your computer.

If this still doesn't work you'll need to set up port forwarding. Let me know if you need help with that.

Good luck!

This topic is 5030 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.