Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Switchboard?

Reid

This topic is 4999 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm switching over from Access. In Access there is a switchboard feature that lets you make buttons for people to access different parts of the database. You can have the switchboard start automatically upon opening the database.

Is there a feature for this in FMP 11? If so, does it carry over to IWP? How can I change the default starting page in IWP?

Thanks!

I've never opened Access, but I'm pretty sure you are asking about a Startup Script. Let us know if this isn't what you mean.

Create a Script that does the steps you wont, including "Go to Layout" where you want to take the user, and then under the File >> File Options >> Select the option "[color:blue]Perform Script" when opening. There is also a "Perform Script" for closing your file.

HTH

Lee

Edited by Guest

Your a better man for never having opened Access. Its a mess.

This is exactly what I wanted! Thank you so much for the quick reply! I'm creating a layout now called home that has buttons that go to my different layouts.

Thanks again!

In File > File Options, there is also a 'switch to layout'. If you always open on same layout (in your case, Home) then I suggest you use it and don't put the layout switch in the opening script. Why?

Let's assume you are working on a table layout with a lot of summary fields. You save your layout and exit and re-serve your file. FM always opens a file to the last layout you were on when you saved it. When you file opens, the opening script will run but it will first open to that summary layout before running your Startup script. At minimum, this can produce a flash (if the layout isn't intensive). If it is intensive, you could sit there for few seconds while it attempts to summarize your entire record set before switching - you will see very annoying screen jitters while it tries to display your summary before the switch.

Using File > File Options > Switch to Layout happens BEFORE your start up script and it will bypass your summary layout before it begins to render the display. No flash, no attempt to render the summary layout. It is much cleaner.

I've never opened Access, but I'm pretty sure you are asking about a Startup Script. Let us know if this isn't what you mean.

If by startup script you mean a self-writing script that creates a layout and populates itself with buttons; then yes. Otherwise no.

This topic is 4999 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.