Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Printing Entire contents of text field

This topic is 5001 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database full of fields where people are typing alot of content. The content fills the text field and you need to scroll down to see the text. Works fine, till you need to print. The person who made the database has it so that if the text is bigger than the box, it won't print the "hidden" text. I'm sure there is a way to do this, but it's been 2 years since I was in doing code and my brain is rusty. Can you help me figure out how to make a layout base the field size conditionally on the amount of text within the box?

You can't. You can make a layout with a text box that is multiple pages in height (just make the body part very tall and drag the text boxes bottom right handle).

Then, use sliding up reduce part so that the box shrinks to contents when it prints.

Lots of text in a field is sometimes the sign of bad design. So, I'd be curious as to what's in the boxes.

All that said, FM doesn't play well with large text boxes. You'll find that page breaks are awful and out of your contol. Bruce Robertson has a technique for splitting up the text in a field into multiple records. Seach or google for it.

Hmm.. interesting. The long text files are descriptions of detailed story points that come from word files. So they are written by producers in word and then entered as part of a larger data set for a television show. I'm wondering if it is possible to run a script that would resize the windows in the layout as part of the print process, and then set them back when the print was done?

This topic is 5001 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.